Clunking Noise

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey gang,

I have a question for you folks. Yesterday I was driving home from work on the interstate (30 mi drive) and I pulled off on my exit to the stop light. When we started going again from the light, i felt a slight vibration through the car which I dont believe is from the engine. When you decellerate, you hear a "slight clunk" from the rear, I want to say I hear it from the drivers side rear area. Any ideas as to what this may be? I drove to school today and it drives fine, just a slight vibration at speed and a clunk on decel.

Any advice/info would be great.

Thanks

Ev

76 '02

Guest Anonymous

it will slowly get worse.. not TOO bad to change out, tho. could also be worn rear suspension bushings... how is the condition of all that stuff?

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

and eventually sheared off one side. Make sure the bolts are good and tight.

Also check U-joint for wear (and of course make sure your lug nuts are tight--can be embarassing to lose a wheel!)

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

....because I had a clunking noise that got progressively worse. No one, even the vaunted local 02 shop, had any idea what was causing the noise. It wasn't until I did the five speed upgrade, and subsequent driveshaft removal/swap, that I discovered the real cause of the noise-bad joint between the two driveshaft halves. I experienced the noise upon deceleration and reverse movement. As Mike said, often times vibration can be a result of driveline (driveshaft) issues, and very often is the case it's a bad u-joint. It freezes up and then spins in a "wobble" motion causing vibration an/or clunking noise.