14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

in-tank fueld pumps

nbristow01

OK, does anyone make and sell just a bolt in kit? I am no fabricator and would just like to buy it ready to go if possible

I am still gathering parts for my 318 EFi setup using all the 02again stuff.

We will dyno pull with my current carb set up then dial in and pull with the complete EFI Microsquirt setup

Should be great to see the difference in numbers at the rear wheels

There are two 318 pumps that fit, a low psi pre pump and a HI psi pump,

find a HI one, two wire hook up.

like someone mentioned, the sender is a tad short, but oh well. They are the closest thing to bolt in Kit you are gonna find to drop in tank.

Frank

Thanks Frank, I had read about the e30 one. I am unfamiliar with the E30 so i just hate ordering parts i do not need. I was just seeing if someone made a ready to go kit. Thanks for your info it was useful

Yeah, you can get the 318 one and that just pops in. It is a little bit shorter than than the stock one, though, so you won't pump out all your gas.

One of the biggest mistakes that can be made with EFI is to try to pump out all your gas. The pump is purposely made to not pump down to the level where the recirculated gas gets so hot the pump cavitates. When this happpens you bought the farm for a new pump. 25 years ago GM issued a bulletin to not draw the tank level down below 1/8 to not damage the pump. The fuel lubricates the pump motor as well as cooling it. I never had a pump problem with that advice. The pump foot strainer is below the level sensor on the BMW pump for that reason. Additionally the tank on the 02 is not pressurized, the more reason why there is added risk for pump cavitation (if you know how a pump works and what caviatation is).

did you read the thread in the faq construction area????

Man Marshall I did search but I just suck at searching threads. I have read about a million 318 threads and can't find what i am after. Thats why I posted. It was a post search post

man nick, ya really gotta learn the seach function. just type "fuel and pump" in the serch box and the third thread listed is the bill wiliams faq about this topic..... always use "and" between your search words and it will cut down on the stray threads a lot. searching really isn't that hard.

:-)

here ha go,

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,298095/

did you read the thread in the faq construction area????

Man Marshall I did search but I just suck at searching threads. I have read about a million 318 threads and can't find what i am after. Thats why I posted. It was a post search post

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,277401/

***update*** i got bored and wrote this:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,353786/

hope it helps...

...One of the biggest mistakes that can be made with EFI is to try to pump out all your gas.... The fuel lubricates the pump motor as well as cooling it. I never had a pump problem with that advice...

+1... That's why many Low Fuel lights were recalibrated to come sooner while there's still sufficient fuel to bathe the pump.

My Lotus Esprit has an additional reason - weight. It has 11 gal. port and starboard fuel tanks. Gasoline weighs 6.25lb./gal. Lotus calibrated the Low Fuel warning light to come on with 2 gal. left in each tank because they designed the rear suspension to have that additional 25 lbs. of weight.

Cheers!