• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M20 mounts, more ready to ship 11/5/11!

3 more sets are finished and ready to ship!

So potentialm20 and I decided to make some M20 swap motor mounts to help fund our cars and possible '02 LeMons entry. Right now we have 2 extra sets which are welded and just need a bit of finishing and paint(POR15) before they can be shipped out.

Here's a pic of the motor in the car. This is with the Dan Williams mounts. The mounts we are selling are our own design but bolt to the stock '02 subframe mounts using the stock '02 motor mounts. They are jig built and both the holes match up with the Dan Williams mounts.

motormounts031.jpg

and the tranny, getrag 260

motormounts029.jpg

Pics of the mounts

mountsfinal003.jpg

mountsfinal002.jpg

We will be making a bunch of other parts to go along with the swap including

-Strut brace with built in engine brace

-Rear cross member to use the E30 tranny bushings and it will be bolt in. -Bolt in radiator mount with e-fan brackets

-Tranny tunnel cover with shifter relocation so you can use the stock E30 shifter linkage and bring the shifter closer to you(further back in the car).

-Possibly custom center console to go along with the shifter relocation.

-many more things as the need arises.

These won't be developed until some time mid summer most likely since we're both full time students. If we can get a spare weekend to work on the car we'll make the tranny mount first.

Once we get a set of mounts cleaned up and painted I'll post the pics up. The only modifications required will be a bit of cutting on the stock drivers side rubber mount and a small bit of grinding on the M20 to provide clearance for the new engine mount. Once I get a picture it will make more sense, it will not in any way weaken the block casing. Every modification and instillation process will be photo documented with a description. We are making all the mounts ourselves and double checking them against the motor before sending them out so they will for sure bolt on.

More helpful information thanks to tinkwithanr, with the Getrag 260 transmission(stock e30 325i/e 5spd) the stock e30 driveshaft is bolt in!

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,826153/#826153

Price is 125$ shipped for the M20 conversion mounts, painted. I'm going to look into powder coating cost and if there is significant interest I can have it done for an additional cost. If you would like a set please reply and email me with the button above, having both makes it a lot easier to keep track of everyone who's interested.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you tell me where the back of the block (transmission mating surface) is in relation to the steering cross link? Will the steering cross link bw in front of or behind the block? How much? I've seen some installations both ways - in front and behind.

Thanks, Steve.

Could you tell me where the back of the block (transmission mating surface) is in relation to the steering cross link? Will the steering cross link bw in front of or behind the block? How much? I've seen some installations both ways - in front and behind.

Thanks, Steve.

I think it's ~1/2" behind the cross link at it's closest with the wheels straight.

I too would like a set of the M20 mounts.
I'd like to get a set of those M20 mounts, painted is fine.

Cool, I think that covers all the sets I made last weekend. If anyone else is interested please reply and if I get enough interest by friday afternoon I can head back to eugene and make a few more sets, otherwise it will be a few weeks before I'm down there again.

-Alex

If I'm looking at your picture correctly, the mating face of the transmission is just behind the steering link. Is that's correct, I'd like a set of your mounts. Bare, unpainted steel is fine with me. Let me know how you want payment.

Thanks, Steve.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

yes, there are no mounts currently where you don't have to cut the front sheet metal or the sheet metal dividing the blower motor from the engine bay. The motor is just a tad too long, unless you get creative with a radiator and can place it ahead of the factory opening instead of behind it.

Edit: the radiator thing I mentioned is something I'm going to try this week when we start one of the swaps.