/rant Broke my ignition key... argh..

Cameron

/rant on

So I put my keys in my pocket a little to fast and hard, and somehow managed to break the key for my ignition. Luckily for me, I had swapped the column out a couple months ago and hadn't yet swapped over my old cylinder that matches the doors. It was my only ignition key, so I tried to put the broken end of the key into the cylinder and then put the other piece in behind it, but somewhere along the way it jammed up and now it's stuck on accessory. At least I didn't have to break the steering lock too... anyway, I pulled the switch portion out and now I have a large flat blade screw driver for a key.

I spent about half an hour trying to drill out the roll pin and pull the cylinder out so I could just pop my new one in tomorrow at work, but turns out my proper sized drill bit that I have at home is too dull to cut through the roll pin.

/rant off

I have four keys for my doors in case something like this happens, I just never got one for the ignition...

My take on this is that as our cars are quite old, the door locks turn very stubbornly and we're bending our keys. We nearly broke ours (thankfully I was able to bend it back into shape) a while back and we broke one a year before.

I'm going to put in power door locks to take the stress off the key, I know it sounds weird but I think it makes sense, plus it's easy to install and kind of convenient to have anyway.

My take on this is that as our cars are quite old, the door locks turn very stubbornly and we're bending our keys. We nearly broke ours (thankfully I was able to bend it back into shape) a while back and we broke one a year before.

I'm going to put in power door locks to take the stress off the key, I know it sounds weird but I think it makes sense, plus it's easy to install and kind of convenient to have anyway.

So your solution is to add power locks... I just don't lock the car :) I figure if someone does break into it, they'll probably leave me twenty bucks and a note that says, "Buy something for me to steal" I'm going for that section 8 housing look.

If you take your door panels off and clean and lube the lock assembly it will work as new and you will not bend your keys...

My take on this is that as our cars are quite old, the door locks turn very stubbornly and we're bending our keys. We nearly broke ours (thankfully I was able to bend it back into shape) a while back and we broke one a year before .....

If you take your door panels off and clean and lube the lock assembly it will work as new and you will not bend your keys...

aging materials.

On the maintenance side, even if you were fortunate enough to find an extremely low mileage original car that had been driven very little and stored inside in a temporate climate, lubricants DO dry out over long periods of time and dust and dirt DOES get into mechanisms, so periodic cleaning and lubrication of everything from door lock and opener linkages inside the door to hood and trunk hinges really is important to keep everything working properly.

On the materials side, all metals have a fatigue point - it doesn't seem like much, but every time you turn the key in the lock, it twists a tiny bit - after thousands of cycles, a crack will get started and slowly propagate across the key (the softer the metal, the lower the fatigue point - a brass key will crack much sooner than a steel one), and murphy's law all but guarantees that the key will break off at the worst possible time in the worst possible location. You should be able to see the crack starting across the key LONG before it breaks off in the lock.