14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Found. WTB early front bumper mounts

New ones list for only about $20 each side. 51 11 1 815 493 L and 51 11 1 815 494 Right.... For that price don't bother with used, possibly bent ones.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2211&mospid=47129&btnr=51_3322&hg=51&fg=15&hl=50

HTH

P.S. if you don't have a friendly BMW dealer parts dept. near you I like http://www.blunttech.com/

Tom,

The pricing on RealOEM is long outdated. My local discounted dealership price two years ago was like $50 each. The only front bumper brackets sold now are those that were made for a '73 which are considerably stronger, but push the bumper forward of the body by about 8 inches. It is not a look I care for and the archives of this board suggest many feel the same. See pics.

I did consider the safety issue, the '73 brackets are made of a thicker steel, designed a bit differently at the head, etc. but I'm convinced that neither the '73 or earlier bracket is going to hold up to much force, hence the US spec big bumpers '74 onward.

That's why I spent so much time hunting down earlier brackets. I did get a new set from Aardvarc. To your point, every other set I found were bent.

Hmm, I got these part numbers:

51111822063 and 51111822064

Tom, I'm quite sure you've forgotten more about 02s then I'll ever know and I would love to be wrong about this so please set me straight.

post-786-13667637919446_thumb.jpg

post-786-13667637921645_thumb.jpg

Tom,

The pricing on RealOEM is long outdated. My local discounted dealership price two years ago was like $50 each. The only front bumper brackets sold now are those that were made for a '73 which are considerably stronger, but push the bumper forward of the body by about 8 inches. It is not a look I care for and the archives of this board suggest many feel the same. See pics.

I did consider the safety issue, the '73 brackets are made of a thicker steel, designed a bit differently at the head, etc. but I'm convinced that neither the '73 or earlier bracket is going to hold up to much force, hence the US spec big bumpers '74 onward.

That's why I spent so much time hunting down earlier brackets. I did get a new set from Aardvarc. To your point, every other set I found were bent.

Hmm, I got these part numbers:

51111822063 and 51111822064

Tom, I'm quite sure you've forgotten more about 02s then I'll ever know and I would love to be wrong about this so please set me straight.

There are three different styles of front bumper brackets for chrome bumper '02s, early (where L&R are the same), Model-71, and the triangulated US '73s. The numbers you got are for the '73 US triangulated ones. Those are currently around $60 ea.. I picked the correct ones for a '72 and checked online with the BMWNA Atlas parts system for the current list prices, not RealOEM. List for 51 11 1 815 493 L is $20.36 and 51 11 1 815 494 Rt is $18.17. There are 277 Lefts in Germany with 19 stateside and 165 rights with 20 stateside. Unless BMW's own system is wrong these are current as of this posting. You sir may stand, but stand corrected. :b....

BTW, the early pre Mod-71 front brackets #51 11 5 470 120 L&R have long been NLA and are rather hard to find.

Damn Tom. Thank you for being right, do I dare say "again." I ordered from the other North America, will arrive on Thursday.

Pricing: $16.49 and $14.72, I think I've paid that price for a single bolt once :-)

Now what can I do for you Tom. Need some manual labor to clean that garage out? Baking? Shall I take that NK from your driveway for you? I know the neighbors will be happy....

Mark