• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels and tires help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK, I have already searched the board for some ideas and suggestions, but I wasn't able to find the specific answers I need.

Story: I decided to go autocrossing on my 15 year old tires, and ended up doing very poorly, so I concluded that it didn't work and I need some new tires.

I like to drive spirited on weekends, and autocross occasionally. I also have a very small budget. I have been looking at the Sumutomo HTR 200 as a possible tire, and I saw some good reviews on it, but will it do what I want it to do? I am worried it will not make an effective autocross tire. Also, I want to use them on my 320is basketweaves, and my car is lowered about 2-2.25", what would be the optimum size?

Thanks!

Jeff C.

70 Granada 2002 Sunroof, Mega-Squirt EFI

66 Turf 2000 Automatic

Guest Anonymous

sig.jpg

there are plenty of great 13" race tires. you might have to move to a 15" wheel to get good street tires.

steve k.

Guest Anonymous

ryan_phelps.jpg

For the wheels your running your pretty much stuck with the sumitomo....And with your car lowered as much as it is I'd run the 185/60 13 that I use to run....I think there is somebody in the group with that size tire and you might be able to take em for a test spin/autocross if you offer him a couple bucks...

Ryan

68 02

PS...too bad you can't get the YOKO AVS's anymore!!!

Guest Anonymous

it is however an exceptional street tire. Best "perfomance" tire I have used in the rain. More than grippy enough for fun on the backroads. At auto-x they give up too soon and get greezy.

I put 12,000mi on mine last year -In our 4 1/2 month driving season here in MN.

Guest Anonymous

The 70 series side wall works good on the autocross course? I would have thought I needed a lower profile tire. This is the size I have now with no problems, except the tires are nearly bald, and they are old, and were no name tires to begin with. I like the way they look. How do they feel in the wet (99% of the time here!)?

Thanks!

Jeff C.

70 Granada 2002 sunroof MS EFI

66 Turf 2000a

Guest Anonymous

The Sumutomo has higher traction ratings and higher customer servey ratings. It also costs about the same in that size. will something wider fit (like a 215/50, or a 205/60)?

Thanks,

Jeff C.

66 Turf 2000a

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.falkentire.com/html/products/azenis/azenis.htm#

They have limited selection of sizes... smallest is 195/60/14 but are extremely popular for autocrossers in the Steet Tire category. These things KICK ASS!!! It's the closest you'll get to R-compounds for the street. And they are cheap! Less than $50 per tire.

Of course, if you're just starting out, you may think about using what you have until you learn proper control of your car. With crappy tires, you learn a lot quicker on becoming a smooth driver since the slightest mistake will cost you. If you have awesome tires, on the other hand, you learn much slower since it "covers up" a lot of mistakes.

Hope this helps.

Arnel

Guest Anonymous

The 60 series tires in a 185 will throw off your speedo/odometer. While 70 series aren't ideal for autocrossing, I still run in the stock class (!) so have to stick with 13 inch wheels, and the 205/60s are a problematic fit under standard wheel arch lips. Shoulda rolled those lips before I painted the car...too late now!

The Yokos are good in the wet, incidentally, but have not (nor do I intend to) tried 'em in the snow...

How about more feedback on the Sumitomos? I'm about ready to replace my 12 year old Bridgestones--terrible in the wet! I still miss my V rated Comp TAs...

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

With my fuel injection, lowered suspention and other mods, I am stuck in FSP, so I can run anything almost. The sumutomos don't come in that size, only the 60 series (or smaller). My fenders are rolled, but not pulled or flaired.

Thanks,

Jeff C.

66 Turf 2000a

Guest Anonymous

...but in 185/65-14s. They're quite a difference over the 185/70-13 Pirellis I had on there -- they stick a lot better, and corener speeds that caused the rear end to get squirrely with the Pirellis are stable with the Sumis.

But while they come in some 70-series sizes (I know 195/70-14 for one), I don't think 185/70-13 is an option. My web connection at work is on the blink this morning, and some sites aren't coming in, or I'd have a more certain answer. Geez, are we supposed to actually do work or something? :-)

-Dave

Colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

I have also heard of having the wheels machined to fit a wider tire. It looks like there is enough metal there to go around. I might be getting some E30 basketweaves I can use for normal driving and show, but I really like the way it looks now with 70 series tires on it. Also, my 185/70s rub on the fender under very hard corners and when I have four people and gear in the car. At this point any tire will be an improvement, but I don't wnat to be dissapointed.

Thanks for your input!

Jeff C.

66 Turf 2000a