barvarianbox_83

Edda My 1967 BMW 1600 UPDATESUPDATESUPDATESUPDATESUPDATES!!!

42 posts / 30388 viewsLast Reply

Hi, another question ... do you know any one selling the chrome face plates at bottom of lower dash (horiz position) ... I have glove box and 3 more units but the 3 units are worn... heater on/off face plate, middle face plate, and far right face plate ... so looking for face plates on left side and I think there is one more next (left) to middle plate or is that ash tray? ..... maybe better to find in europe because so early? You have good photo left side ... do you have a right side photo? ........ a photo of a 1600 dash in europe I found on internet...... Lucian

post-15541-13667642756866_thumb.jpg

Those are pretty rare on this side of the pond. The European cars had that dash through 1971 and the US cars only had it in `66/67, or so I've been told.

The upside is that you can now buy them new from BMW. The downside it that they're about $73/ea. Email BLUNT for new ones (steve@blunttech.com).

The upside is that you can now buy them new from BMW. The downside it that they're about $73/ea. Email BLUNT for new ones (steve@blunttech.com).

that's good to know - I've been collecting info on companies that chrome plastic but if I can just buy off the shelf new then it's a no brainer. I'll have to check the price this side of the pond.

From what I understand, rechroming plastic makes already brittle plastic parts even more brittle. If it's possible to buy new, we're probably better off, even at that cost.

Hello ... and thank you for Steve at Blunt Tech I ordered the set of bottom parts of dash, chrome cover pieces (4total minus the glove box) and price was $54.73 per part x 4, plus $12.50 ship to Los Angeles .... tomorrow we will remove 1 piece dash change out a heater and install 3 piece dash .... Lucian

More updates....

I have been working at a steady pace to get some things done. I have rebuilt the headlight buckets, and my own stupidity putting them back together!!! They turned out quite well. They were literally rusted up bad!!!

I also rebuilt my mechanical fuel pump with the help of some VW parts. The rebuild on the pump was very easy and straight forward. I bought the rebuild kit through Wolfgang Intl. I kept many of the original parts just cause I thought that they are better manufactured.

I also got all of my bolts and nuts back from CAD plating. They look great. For a small amount all of your beat up rusted hardware gets renewed.

I am going to be tackling the pedal box next. I have all the pieces painted and I have the rebuild kit.

I have also been working on rehabbing the air intake. I'm waiting for the paint to dry so I can put it all back together.

I'm borderline OCD now putting all this rebuilt stuff away. More progress to done in the next couple of weeks.

Here are some pictures of the progress.....

IMG_0027.jpg Cheap parts...

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0031.jpgFinished pump...

IMG_0032.jpgPedal box after the acid treatment...

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg headlight buckets!!!

IMG_0041.jpgPedal box parts

IMG_0045.jpgShinny Objects!!!!!!!

IMG_0044.jpgBMW 1600 on a shelf!!!

I have been working a lot right now getting little parts of the car refurbished. I just rebuilt the pedal box. Something so simple as that should not have taken me the amount of time that it did!!! I wanted to do it right, and got the whole box dipped and painted, and greased every movable part. It was my first pedal box rebuild. The car does not have a hydraulic clutch so it's different from a 2002.

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

I also rebuilt the rear tail lights. Covered in overspray and undercoating I disassembled them and refinished them. I bought some new lenses and bezels. They turned out great.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

My grills got a nice paint job from the PO. I learned the hard way cleaning off paint on my last 2002 and I broke one of the slats. I paid the $10 to have them soda blasted. Now I am going to get them bright dipped anodized. I'm working with Chicago Anodizing for that.

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

As for the Edda, the welding started on her last weekend. Pics to come when I have them.

nice progress, Nate! come join the newly formed Chicago 02 group, we're trying to pool resources and knowledge, and make friends in an area not previously known for an active 02 community.

see the recent posts in the forum

Dave

So whatever happened with this project? Was it ever finished?