barvarianbox_83

Edda My 1967 BMW 1600 UPDATESUPDATESUPDATESUPDATESUPDATES!!!

42 posts in this topic Last Reply

Cool project. I wish you luck. I'm not too far from you guys in the Northern Part of IL. Raced Supermoto the last couple of years in Dousman at Badger Kart Club. Fun track.

Where in Illinois? I up in Woodstock working on my '69 1600 Cab. I thought I was the only one around these parts, go figure.

Not to familiar with stuff I am just getting into my restoration with my 14 yo son. So far he is very into it he knows he will eventually get to drive the car to school.

Where in Illinois? I up in Woodstock working on my '69 1600 Cab. I thought I was the only one around these parts, go figure.

Not to familiar with stuff I am just getting into my restoration with my 14 yo son. So far he is very into it he knows he will eventually get to drive the car to school.

You are not alone! I'm on the far west side of LITH, about a block from being in Huntley.

Thats cool you are working with your son on the project. My daughters are too young to really help right now, but I know my 5 year will appreciate my '73 when she gets older. She loves my Harley already.

More progress made on the 1600. All the parts are being zinc plated right now. I had all the hardware stripped down to bare metal. I also got the gas tank back from it's refurbishing. It looks great, and should last 40 more years. I am also rebuilding all of the lock cylinders. I started with the trunk. Lucky me.... The tabs on the cir-clip are broken off. I had to drill the clip out. Took me about 45 minutes. I put it all back together and it works great. Lock cylinder refurbishment and heater box refurbishment are not my favorite activities.

I also picked up my recently cleaned and pressure tested heater core. She is a beauty. I have also gotten myself very familiar with JB Weld. It's not the easiest stuff to work with when you are trying to fill cracks. I spent a lot of time patching my heater box. I really do not want it to leak. I am also cleaning up and painting all of the doors on the box for the heat. I am also putting in a 12v fan motor. My 6v works but makes a horrid screaming noise when on. Sewing machine oil made no impact on the screaming beast!!! Anyone who thinks that rebuilding their box is too much of a challenge should read the article in the 02 FAQs. Very enlightening!!!

I need to get the dash refurbished, and the seats recovered as my next project.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

More progress has been made on the old girl over the last month. I rebuilt all the door lock cylinders, and have been dicking around with finishing up the heater box. I started putting together a pile of more parts that need dipping. I have been working a lot lately, but have been diligently forward progress with her.

IMG_1371.jpg

She is on her way to be media blasted and then the welding begins. I told my body guy to take all the time he needs to get it done right. He tells me I'm looking at about 8 months to do it all right. We dropped the chassis off last week.

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1363.jpgIMG_1364.jpgIMG_1365.jpg

very cool...I'm right behind you with my 69' 1600 that was Chaminox and painted red..I believe I'm moving a lot slower than you...:-(...not much time...

Quick question though...how did you strip all the stuff off the interior floor? I haven't started that yet, but it looks like a bear of a job. Any tips? Thanks!

Stephen

I did each floor board separately. The trick for me was to hit the while area with a hammer. Most of the sound deadening broke apart. Next I did gasoline, and I let it sit. I then hit it with a paint scrapper, and SOS pads. Very time intensive. Very time intensive.

Quick question though...how did you strip all the stuff off the interior floor? I haven't started that yet, but it looks like a bear of a job. Any tips? Thanks!

Stephen

Dry ice works very well.

John

I did hear that dry ice works great. I first learned about that stripping weight off a MKI Rabbit. I think on those their is like 60 lbs of sound deadening you can take off.

Dry ice, huh? I'm going to try that....very cool...(no pun intended..;-)

Ha, I think I did actually find the mouse in ur pic...it's like a where's waldo of vintage cars. Good luck on ur project.

Yup that's a mouse in the heater box. This is not an uncommon thing according to other people who store their vehicles in winter. I do not understand how he got into the box. Everything was put together when I disassembled the car.

Hi, great project you have going, I am working on my heater now also .... I have question about your 3 piece dash ... the part that is around the speedometer and gauges is any part of that padded .... I was informed the early ones were not padded ..... tks Lucian

post-15541-13667642561366_thumb.jpg

Hi, great project you have going, I am working on my heater now also .... I have question about your 3 piece dash ... the part that is around the speedometer and gauges is any part of that padded .... I was informed the early ones were not padded ..... tks Lucian

that's right, they're a separate painted metal piece.