Disassembling and removing output flanges on LS differential

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was looking at the BMW 2002 Differentials Guide and was wondering if someone could explain to me how they have gone about removeing and then replacing the output flanges on a 320I LS differential. As I read this section it lead me to believe that one can just pop out these flanges with a little prying using a screwdriver. But it was unclear how to re-install them. Can I assume you just tap them back in.

My plan is to remove them, then take them to a local machine shop, drill and tap them to the 8mm bolt hole size and re-install them. Any insight someone can give me would be appreciated.

Guest Anonymous

Litterally they just pop out when pryed on with a screw driver. Push them back in once the spline is lined up. Easy to do and unless your local shop works cheap just go get the ones from dave varco for like $45. Party On

Kris

Guest Anonymous

I took mine to my "local machine shop" (CNC equipment and the whole works), but did not hold the tolerance on the bolt circle, so they couldn't be assembled. Get the ones from someone that knows 02's. AArdvack racing has them too. (Cheaper than what I paid to my local machine shop)

They do pop out very easily, a slide hammer helps. The early 2002 diff have a circle clip inside.

Michael

72 tii

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info guys. I understand were your coming from about the machine shop but I have a local shop I've used for years and I'm very good friends with. I've seen no better work anywhere and there always VERY reasonable when it come to price. I'll post something when I have the work done.

Guest Anonymous

The machine shop that I used were also my friends, have the latest equipment, they are smart people, honest, etc. They charged me $45 per (CA), I thought reasonable and wanted to keep business local. Well, the tolerance on the bolt circle location, has to be pretty tight because it can be cumulative, all holes have to be within .002" rtp otherwise the threads will not engage, and you only need one to screw things up. The germans had to have done it with a jig or fixture in order to hold that kind of tolerance. I lost $190, but not a friend, they still think they did a good job!

Michael

Guest Anonymous

Well Guys I took the flanges to my local machine shop and got them back today. I also got them to make a set of 1/4 spacers for In-between each flange and half-shaft.I just finished installing them and they went together slicker then snot!

I've had these guys make many complicated items ranging from parts for a 911 porsche project to a custom Harley and they have ALWAYS been perfect. I would trust these guys with any part. No matter how big or small they alway do it right. It did cost me $100 for everything but I like supporting a local business and there turn around time can't be beat by anyone.

I do appreciate everyones imput and as always it's been a big help.

Thanks.

PS. now i move onto rust repair in the front passengers floor.Wish me luck!

Guest Anonymous

my apologies for doubting their ability. Maybe my

local machine shop are a bunch of clowns,

anyway, congratulations for your success and

happy motoring

Michael