• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove Air Con System

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all

Could someone enlighten me as to the best method to remove an air conditioning system from my 02. I'm not real keen on having gasses shooting everywhere, & would like to reuse the system. Is this possible?

Guest Anonymous

To to it properly, assuming you still have Freon left in there, you have to drain the gas into a tank. Then you can pull all the parts off that you want, without fear of death and environmental destruction. If the thing hasn't worked in a long time, though, odds are you don't have any Freon left.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

From my limited knowledge, I assume that the Freon is under pressure in a tank, & when you operate the air con the compressed liquid tank is opened & the Freon become a gas which is cold & does the cooling, the gas then goes through the compressor & is condensed back into a liquid.

So, how do you drain the Liquid Freon, Do you need special equipment?

Thanks for you input.

Guest Anonymous

take it to a shop that does A/C work. let em suck any remaining refrigerant out, and they will more than likely pay you for the stuff, assuming there is any left. the way the systems work is yes, they pressurize the refrigerant in its liquid state up to the evaporator, which is the little radiator thing that sits in the console inside the car. when it gets to this point it is sent through the expansion valve which is basically a big restrictor in the system that turns it to a gas, causing rapid cooling of the evap core. air is blown over the core and cools the car inside. it returns to the reciever/drier where it is filtered and returned to its liquid state and fed back into the compressor. R12 is extremely bad for the environment so please go ahead and have your system evacuated by a shop that does the work. it is also very valuable now, so they might even pay you for the privledge of sucking your system dry ;)

-Rob