we have to switch a webspace provider

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

sig.jpg

Due to some rules set by our provider I cannot run a script that updates the search engine database so I have to find a new place to store our website. Any recommendations are welcome. Bad or good experiences with different companies are needed.

steve

Guest Anonymous

I know your main focus is on the site and probably not the bbs, but I think php would add a lot. I dont know, this has probably been brought up before so you can just ignore me if you want ;).

But in my eyes php is 100 times better then the scrolling message type thing we have here. It's easier to search old topics, and it's overall easier to look at. plus, the single best reason to switch is because hot topics stay at the top and dont get pushed out of sight by daily posts.

As far as webspace, I've had really good luck with powweb, but I'm not sure if it would cut it for a high trafic site. Although others that post in the powweb BBS claim to be running fairly large phpbb's with no problems.

Guest Anonymous

50gb of xfer and 500mb of space.. and REAL people to talk to on their 800 number. unlimited sub domains etc. all for like $6 a month if you pay for a whole year.

Kris

Guest Anonymous

amazing, for the very first time EVER that I have noticed, powweb.com is completly down. So is my website, so is all there websites. I guess there server is crashed... very strange becuase I wouldnt have noticed it unless I went to research how much space I had to post here.

This sucks... ehh not a good day. Maybe I'll be switching to ehostsorce...

Guest Anonymous

sig.jpg

"You may only host one domain name per account. Pointing other domains to your account, or pages within your existing website is not acceptable and is grounds for termination. Customer may not exceed monthly bandwidth included with the hosting package. If bandwidth is exceeded, the account will be terminated."

we have multiple domains. it lloks like they only have one account that supposed to cover all. We already excede 500mb of storage.

steve

Guest Anonymous

sig.jpg

"But in my eyes php is 100 times better then the scrolling message type thing we have here. It's easier to search old topics, and it's overall easier to look at. plus, the single best reason to switch is because hot topics stay at the top and dont get pushed out of sight by daily posts."

I looked at a lot of PHP boards when we started the site, and found that most of them carry a lot of extra baggage. We picked this bbs because it was simple and easy to navigate and at the same time provided a lot of features that PHP boards had.

Example 1. Hit "View Latest" and you will get the latest messages posted.

Example 2. Hit "view Threads" and you will get the look that most PHP boards offer you with the most recent thread updated first"

We also have some features that have no been enabled yet. User regestration (i want to avoide having that one) Email sent when reply posted. I will enable this one soon.

steve k.

Guest Anonymous

Didn't know we had more than one domain.. and over 500mb of stuff.. wow that's alot of questions on will these 15 wheels rub and why does my car smoke ;)

Best of Luck

Party On

Kris

Guest Anonymous

Contact Rich at on-the-net.com. Tell him Pam's Bill sent you. It will be gratis or minimal charge.

If you have any questions call me by sending me a private email.

Guest Anonymous

I didnt knwo about the 'veiw threds' thing, that makes it look a lot better. I like!

I still like php though. There are so many things you can do that make posting easy... plus I just 'personally' like the lay out better. Rather then every topic having a potential subtopic, then ever reply to that sub topic being listed... ect... it seems its much more organized to simply have all the replies to a given topic all in php style sorted by date... rather then having to scroll through reply to reply and try to figure out what links with what. Also, I think people can learn php UBC or whatever they call it faster then HTML, so posting pics and stuff will be easier.

Also you can get striped down versions of php that are little more then what you have here, except the obvious layout change.

I dono, I'm probably biased too because all of the other boards I go to are all php, so thats what I know.