Sign in to follow this  
wh400

To Tii or not Tii

12 posts / 2069 viewsLast Reply

Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum...if there is a way to move it to the general discussion please let me know...

Hi,

I have been driving myself crazy trying to find the 02 for me! I am looking for a daily driver that I can enjoy. I am down to two of them that are both very nice (not withstanding final inspection) and I am in a quandary. To Tii or not? I bet Hamlet never had these issues...

I live in Birmingham, Alabama - which is hot, hot, hot in the summer (oh, and don't forget the humidity). The Tii I like does not have A/C but has everything else I like but maybe not the perfect condition of the other one which is a non-Tii, has A/C and truly looks immaculate.

I don't think living in Alabama with a daily driver with no A/C is feasible...so what to do?

Anyone know what it would cost to put in A/C?

I don't have unlimited budget - sadly...

Thanks for listening!

I wouldn't use my tii as a daily driver, it's too valuable to subject it to the rigors of every day driving. Too many people texting and talking on their cell phones while driving big SUV's. I occasionally drive my tii to workbut it's primarily a weekend car. For my daily driver, I have a 91 E30 318i and a 81 E12. Recommend you get a E30 for a DD and use your tii for weekend, nice day driving. E30's can be found for cheap on Craigslist and they will have all the creature comforts you want and are fun to drive. You will find that a lot of 02 owners also have a E30. Just my .02 cents worth.

G-Man

i grew up in columbia, s.c. driving a 1974 beetle with no a.c.

it's fiiiine- totally doable. of course, now that i've spent the last 7 years spoiled by bay area summers- not so sure i could revert. on the other hand, 2002's like to get where they are going, which is good for a breeze through the open windows.

but in all seriousness- it seems to me as if the general consensus is that the tii's are more collectible and therefor lend themselves less to various modifications. with the standard 02, you can trade up carburetors, cams, exhaust etc, without having to worry too much about the value of your ride.

so, it depends on what you want to do with it- if you are a tinkerer, go for the carbureted model. on the other hand, the stock tii was speedier than the standard...

Are the two cars you're considering -- the tii and non-tii -- both in good mechanical conditions and are both good drivers? Is there a substantial price difference between the two?

I might be compelled to just go with the one I enjoyed driving more.

Also, in my admittedly biased opinion, installing an A/C system that works well is probably more of a dream than a reality.

Hi,

Both are strong mechanically, the one has a great 'pedigree', only 2 owners, and your comment about the A/C is what I fear! They are close in price, a few hundred dollars difference - both the same year...

Thank you for the info...

I drove two tii as dd's over a 7 year period with no A/C in Central Florida.

The 1st tii was taken off the road to go more as a track/weekend car and so I picked a super clean, original, #'s matching 74 tii and drove it for 2 years. I sold the second tii and bought a Jetta with A/C. the second tii was too nice to drive 500 miles a week and i was alway worried something would happen to it. I got bumped twice (Thank god it was a 74tii) a rock cracked the wind shield from a dump truk and I found some random kid climbing on it. The guy I sold it to is local and is restoring it at this very moment. I sleep much better. The heat will make you crazy after a while but so will worring about a nice 02.

I got a quote to do A/C and it was 700-900 depending on what parts i had stashed away for the project.

post-19181-13667637594794_thumb.jpg

post-19181-13667637595645_thumb.jpg

I'm in the same boat but only looking for a tii. Nearly impossible to find a clean one with ac and sunroof. I have a couple of estimates to add ac in the $2500-$3000 range from CA shops. I'm waiting till I find the right one - I need AC here in FL even though I will only drive the tii for fun.

Love your Tii's - very nice. I don't plan to race or anything but will do some modifications and doing that to a Tii would hurt! Just can't do it. So I am leaning towards the non-Tii...just waiting on independent inspection.

Thank you to all for your responses.

My heart wants the Tii, my brain says go with the other!

I've had 2 of each - currently have a tii and love it to death - the little bit of extra HP is appreciated. The ONLY thing I miss about the non-tii cars is the sound of the carbs - there was something special about the sound. Buy the car you like the best - you can always keep feelers out and if something better comes along swap 'em out (or keep both)!

I bought a 73 tii to use as a daily driver. It is a nice solid car, but not too nice to drive or leave it on a parking lot all day (I don't live in a city, though, very safe here in Auburn). I love every minute I am driving it.

Has a sunroof, and I ADDED an original Behr A/C last summer. I don't consider this a modification, since it looks completely stock, besides the Sanden compressor. Triple digit temperatures are not a problem, it works nice with the R134 conversion. Also nice with humidity or rain, the A/C gets the windows clear in a minute.

To give you an idea, the whole conversion cost me about $2,700. I found used parts (Behr console, condensor, aux fan, tii pulley), and bought the bracket, new compressor, new drier, hoses and fittings. Also included is labor for a shop to do the work. If you can do it yourself, you can save about $1,500. I would do it again anytime.

Dieter

I have used the A/C in my car only three times - once was when my wife rode with me to NC beach area last May. Very inefficient "open-loop" system that blows cold air on your elbows or shoulders. You must close the heater flap to keep outside air from entering the car. I do have a new bracket for mounting a Sanden compressor - but haven't installed it yet.

Negatives:

The components are bulky and heavy.

The (2) refrigerant lines make it tough to change the spark plugs and remove the exhaust manifold.

Leaves get clogged in the nose more easily.

It makes removing the center kidney grill more difficult.

The console makes it more difficult to R&R the heater box.

The condensate drain dumps out right on top of the transmission.

On a tii, you must remove the injection belt to gain access to the A/C belt.

My next 2002 will not have A/C. If it does, I am removing it.