What to do w/ Fuel Evaporation Line?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

10088.jpg

Got a '74 with charcoal tank in the engine bay and a line running to the gas tank spout. I'm running new fuel line and in interest of cleaning up/stripping down items, I thought about chucking the evap system. Not sure if it's smog required for a '74? Have other people plugged the outlet on the tank spout?

Not that I currently have a visually passing smog 2002. . .Snifer is no problem, it's the visual that's holding up my reg tags. ANYHOW, after the first of next year this may be moot (orrrrrr not).

Guest Anonymous

picnicvintage08.jpg

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

Otherwise, as fuel is sucked out of the tank, a vacuum develops. That can cause fuel starvation, fuel pump failure, or even the fuel tank to collapse. On older cars, that vent line from the filler neck was simply routed under the trunk to outside.

I think keeping the original evap tank and charcoal cannister, with the purge line from the cannister running to the inside of the air cleaner (NOT to manifold vacuum!), is the better option and avoids a strong fuel smell when the car is parked on hot days and is a little better for the environment since much of the fuel vapour is trapped by the charcoal cannister and then eventually burned in the engine. There is no performance to be gained by getting rid of it, either.

regards,

Zenon