What are the best manuals and books for a 74tii? (more;long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have hit a financial road block and still need to do some work on my daily driver. I can't afford to pay someone to work on it, so I am going to dig in and teach myself. I am an OK mechanic (although I am used to working mostly on motorcycles) but the K-pump and all the tunings and adjustments, etc. have me a little baffled. Should I go to carbs? How difficult would that be? What are some carb suggestions? Car runs ok now but seems a little off. It tends to run-on a little. Maybe MSD ingnition set-up is too hot? Maybe I should run higher Octane gas? I really can't afford to rebuild K-pump and injectors right now. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA

M.Saxon

Guest Anonymous

If you go to carb(s) do it as a last resort. Get someone who really know the injection system to check it out for you before you make that decision. Once the k-fish is set-up you'll never touch it again. Make sure what your seeing in the way of problems is truly injection related. Too many mechanics call the problem the pump or the injectors when that is not the case. Injectors can be cleaned and tested for around $20 ea. Do them 1 at a time if your are short. Also the linkage could be the culprit, replace each piece and see what happens. Then get it tuned in. I can send you a copy of the Kugelfischer manual. Email me your address if you want one.

Guest Anonymous

Bob also has the color wiring diagram for the 74tii. Another source of info is McCartneys restoration manual. Has a good section on testing the tii electronics. I was able to test and fix my cold start controller- no more manual switch! Once you have the basics down, you can come to this list and ask specific questions.

I'm still working my way up to that point...My 72tii runs fine cold, but idle speed drops to zero when warm....