A Moment of Silence for #1566251

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Fellow FAQ'er "Ratt" and I checked out a $200 car

this weekend. The owner got me to go 150+ miles

out of my way since in his observation, "the car

has no apparent rust, but I haven't crawled

underneath".

OK....for $200, perhaps a parts car. I'm VERY SORRY to say that #1566251, a late 1968 1602, is GONE. This car was originally "Florida", which still looked cool (and Miami Beach'ish) under the hood and trunk. Also, it had an original sunroof.

Unfortunately, not one salvagable body panel. Completely rusted out. The interior's gone, dashboard cracked,

and the car was almost ready to break in two since the rockers were totally gone.

I couldn't part her out since he thinks he'll still be able to sell her as a whole. SIGH. I told him to call me before it goes to the crusher since nobody will take this poor car. If I hear from him, I'll post a heads-up since my heart is isn't up for another trip to see this car.

Again.....hat's off and a moment of silence for 1566251.

An original 1602 Florida car, kinda like seeing a whooping crane or California Condor, or even a dodo bird.

Jerry Curry

1971 2002

Guest Anonymous

And with a sunroof too! A sad day indeed. I've heard that the Florida-colored cars started rusting the same year they were built...

Karl

ex-'69 2002 #1666359 Florida w/sunroof (R.I.P.)

Guest Anonymous

Florida 1600 1568930 is alive and well - just ask the kid in the red integra. I threw all caution into the wind on Sunday and drove it back and forth to Hanover, Pa to visit Mom. Halfway there realized I'd better not have a flat cause I didn't have lug nuts for the spare and a wrench that fit the nuts on the AR Libres. Good shakedown for the WVA trip. Even got to cruise by the old BMW dealer in Hanover where dad bought it new (it's now an autoparts store).

Guest Anonymous

Neil, I grew up in Hanover, but haven't lived there in 8 years. Mom still does. I don't remember AutoTech. When I was in high school I hung out with Dick Dietz at Shack Automotive, and Steve Erb at Erb's Transmission. B&W Sales was the original BMW dealer, and then it was Shultz. Ed Lighty was one of the original mechanics at B&W - his signature graces my 1600's service record book - got to meet him a few years ago. The old German that started B&W was named Skip. I remember they had an Isetta hanging around the shop when my dad would take the car in for service, that was around 1974-75.