Looking for Fiberglass body

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Are there any companies out there that make complete Fiberglass replacement bodies for 2002's. I have a complete 72 2002 and 72 tii drive train. Unfortunately the donor car is heavily rusted and fixing the body will be too much work.

Guest Anonymous

But there are companies that make fiberglass, door-skins, Trunk lids, Hoods, and fenders/flares. The problem with a fiber glass body on a uni-body car is the Body is like the frame. It provides support. Some cars that have really rusty rockers, actually sag in the middle(as I found out this weekend). so a fiberglass car would be very well uh Unsafe and probably destroy its self.

HTH

Andy Rattley

Guest Anonymous

Obviously putting fibre glass doors or a bonnet

(hood) on a unitary frame won't take away the

stiffness, but I don't think this is what he was

implying.

Has any manufacturer ever made a fibre glass

monocoque - not that I know of (and don't include

the carbon fibre Zonda or F1!!) - they all rely on a

separate steel or alloy chassis for strength with a

bonded fibre glass body adding stiffness.

HTH, Nick

Guest Anonymous

The one Mazda ripped off for the Miata was a all fiberglass unibody the only steel was bonded in the fiberglass at the suspension/subframe mounts.....Marty....

Guest Anonymous

that was all glass with the exception of the front suspention mounts and the windsheild frame acording to Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design by Costin and Phipps there was one in town when I was a kid cool car.....Marty....

Guest Anonymous

I ever drove that was as much fun as my 02, was a fully restored silver soft top Elan w. DCOEs....but I have yet to toss an old 911 around. *wink*

The Elan was an amazing little car....I just giggled the entire time I drove it through the twisties.

Paul

Guest Anonymous

THAT's what does it for me if it's not an '02 and is ridiculously impractical. Giggles out the wazoo, and no road car EVER has been able to match the feel.

Never been in an early Elan, but what you've said backs up what everyone else does...

One of these days, when I get out of college and get a real job,

I'm gonna build one.

Caterhams, Loti, whatever. Christ, what cool little snotrockets those things are.

;)

Sam

Guest Anonymous

When I "modified" my 02 years back, I ordered the flare kit from Korman. They turned out to be very thin, GT(wiiiiide) style flares. Something like 8". Not good for a street car. Talked with Rick Haner and he had a set of the Z products flares. More like 3" and fairly thick glas and gel coat. We did a straigt up trade and everybody was happy. Front fenders were bolt on replacements and the rears required hot rod style cuts of the fender up to the upper crome strip.

All this is moot if the rockers are shot.

Guest Anonymous

WITH ALL THE REST OF THE JUNK....... LOOKED LIKE SOMTHING FROM A MAD MAX MOVIE TO ME, JUST UGLY.. BUT 7'S AND ELLAN'S KICK ASS....

Guest Anonymous

Do you really think Rich was talking about a car completely made of Fiberglass? I got the impression he was talking about body panels. If he was speaking about a complete body then I would have to agree. So, Rich which one is it? Body panels or the complete body?