central pneumatic 4.5 hp 21 gallon compressor, $179... good

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47065

I know there has been compressor questions asked before... I remember people saying they were happy with there much larger compressors. I'm not in a position to buy anything like that, but I would like to start using some various air tools. I want to use a die grinder, drill, and ratchet all on limited basis. Maybe some light sanding, but not much. And I'd like to be able to do airbrushing and low volume touch up spraying.

This compressor is 4.5 hp and on a 21 gallon tank. It uses oil, which is good from what I remember. The price is $199 on the page but on onther page it's listed as a special for $179. Has anyone played around with these or have any advise on a good compressor for under $200?

Guest Anonymous

will_trunk.jpg

URL: http://www.2002tii-restoration.com

It should work ok. My first compressor was similar to the one you're looking at. I got rid of it after a year or so, because it couldn't keep up with a DA sander, die grinder, etc. After wasting more money on an intermediate sized unit (5 hp / 60 gal), I now have a serious Ingersol-Rand compressor (7.5 hp /2 stage/ 80 gal) - I love it! If this is all you can realistically afford for the forseable future, then give it shot. If you plan to get ambitious about body and paint work in the next few years, you may be wasting your money.

Good Luck!

Martin

Lots of money wasted on cheap compressors

'73tii

Martin

Guest Anonymous

compressor_fullsize.jpg

URL: http://www.2002tii-restoration.com

I-R 2475 compressors like mine list for about $1700 new. I know that's a lot of money, but once you start getting serious about body work, a good compressor becomes one of your most important tools. I was very lucky, about a year ago Home Depot decided to drop Ingersol-Rand compressors and I picked mine up for about $1100. That's still a lot of money, but this compressor ROCKS!

You also need to consider a few other expenses

* Supply line plumbing and filtering - I've probably spent a couple hunders bucks over the years.

* 50 amp circuit - I pulled the wire and had my electrian buddy hook it up, $75.

Martin

24 CFM @ 175 PSI

'73tii

• 9 months later...
Guest Anonymous

If you are going to use a die grinder and pneumatic sander, the one thing that you have to look at is the scfm rating of your tools and the compressor. A typical Die grinder uses about 5 to 6 scfm@ 90psi and a sander will go to about 7.5 scfm @ 90psi. As far as spraying, an airbrush only uses 1scfm@ 40psi but a larger touch-up gun will use upto 4scfm@90psi and a heavy duty spray gun takes a whopping 11.5scfm@50psi so that compressor will get you started but if you really get into doing body work later on, you will have to upgrade your compressor. Hope this made sense!!

Guest Anonymous

It puts out maybe... MAYBE half of what it says.. mine claims

7CFM @ 90.. and I can't run a die grinder for more than 25

seconds before its out of air.. it's totally weak.

Guest Anonymous

warming_up.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/store/index.html

brand new 60gallon, 6.5hp compressor. The compressor/tank was keeping up, but JUST BARELY. after a half-hour's work the copper pressure tube running out of the compressor to the tank was H-O-T... way hot. discolored the shit out of the copper. id say a 60gallon tank is the absolute bare-bones minimum for anyone wanting to do real work by air. :)

-Rob

• 13 years later...
Guest Rebecca

I am also using the Central pneumatic 21-gallon air compressor for two years. This 21 Gallon air compressor is quite durable thanks to its oiled pump system, long-lasting motor, and reduced vibration through foot stabilizers. Its energy-efficient 2.5-hp motor producing 125 psi of max pressure and 5.8 CFM at 40 psi & 4.7 CFM at 90 psi. 

Features:

• Its oil-lubricated pump system is highly heat-efficient.
  • It has Rubber foot stabilizers to reduce vibration.
  • Two wheels and a one handle help increased comfort during transport.
  • Oil level indicator for easy oil management.
  • Handle and wheels for easy transport.
  • Compact and lightweight vertical design.