14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Barrett Jackson

dtortoise9

They have ruined the business and made lots of money for themselves.

I'm listening, please explain..

I don't know anything about the business, but lately when I've stopped to watch it on TV for a few minutes there seem to be amazing values like absolutely mint late models and restored classics. I mean Jeez who wouldn't want a perfect 5 year old zero miles Viper for less than a new Focus? Or a professionally restored '69 Camaro for about what its paint job must have cost?

On the other hand I visited the Meechum auction at Monterey for a couple hours this year and couldn't believe the extremes, a cool battle weary '80s IMSA GTO mustang struggled to bring like $10K then a few minutes later the owner of an over-restored vintage ferrari 250 GT turns down $3.5M.

I have been watching the last couple night and I thought the prices were pretty high. I saw a 1955 Chevy pickup that was very nice go for 140k and a 1956 Chevy convertible for 117k a Hemi Cuda coupe 150k. The first two especially the pickup are not rare cars at all. My impression was the price are rising compared to last year.

The 55 Chevy 3100 pick up was very nice and the builder probably had alot into it. That model was very popular when I was a kid in the mid 60s. Chevy should have based the HHR on that model. I have a 55 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr hardtop, they made 180k of that model alone in 1955, but they still bring a pretty good price, the pickup are very common also. Supply and demand even though alot were made they are very popular. A 2002tii is a very rare car in comparison. There are positives and negatives when the price get too high.

They have ruined the business and made lots of money for themselves.

at ANY auction is for two or more people with deep pockets to really want the item in question and be willing to back up their desire with cash (there have been some borderline-absurd prices paid for antique Chinese art items recently, often by "nouveau riche" Chinese millionaires) - doesn't mean that's what anyone else would pay for it, or what it's necessarily worth in the real world.

A custom '70 / '71 Cuda that looked like a live version of one of those "caricature" models sold at B-J Saturday (pearl lime green paint, complex clearcoated grey graphics on the hood and top, monster blown hemi, huge tire/wheel combo, etc) for well north of $200k - I wouldn't have bid on it if I had an EIGHT figure budget, but two guys sure wanted it.......

That said, the total cost of a concours quality restoration or building a really high quality custom is rarely recovered at auction - with labor at a good shop easily topping $100/hour, bodywork and paint alone can effectively be a $1000-a-day prospect.