Some wierd things w/ my 02tii last week...more...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

First, my fuel gauge and temp guage have been intermitant, then I came to the realization that they work after the outdoor ambient temperature is warmer than around 70 degrees???!!! Don't know why this is.

Secondly, engine picked up a wire coat hanger and it wrapped around a few of my pulleys. End of hanger was sticking up into timing belt area. Hopefully timing belt wasn't compromised. It didn't look like it was touching the belt.

Really wierd.

Guest Anonymous

If you are uncertain about the condition, take off the top cover and inspect the belt for fraying or damaged teeth. Replace it if in any doubt (you should have a spare on hand anyhow); it's not a big job unless you have AC.

Guest Anonymous

inside the instrument cluster - there have been multiple posts about the problem over the last year, and I think a troubleshooting / repair proceedure may have been added to the FAQ's section.

In a nutshell, the problem often is a bad ground circuit on the on the circuit board that powers both the fuel & temp guages and the indicator lights. If both gauges go from working to dead and back at exactly the same time (but the indicator lights are OK), there's a VERY high probability that the section of the printed circuit board that carries the ground circuit shared by the two gauges has gone bad. In this situation, probably the easiest fix is to make up a little "jumper" wire that connects the ground studs for the guages to the tach's ground wire.

Let me know if you need more info and I'll see if I can locate the post that went over the whole proceedure.....

Guest Anonymous

so I might be off on this - my recollection is that a three wire bundle comes off a three terminal jack/plug combo on the outside of the circuit board on the back of the cluster which has a ground wire in it that provides the ground circuit to the tach and panel lights in the the speedo and tach.

I've got both spare early and late panels stored away in my garage - I'll check when I get home and post more details, or if you want to do the research, look for a post from me sometime not long after last year's Fest West dealing with troubleshooting the ground problem.

Guest Anonymous

the three wire bundle runs from a 3 pin plug in the lower outer corner of the printed circuit board across the back of the cluster and plugs into individual spade clips on the back of the tach. If you want to take a ground off the tach terminal, the easiest way to do it is to get one of the "piggy-back" add-on clips that has one female and two male spade connections and make a short ground lead that plugs into the adapter, and runs back over to the ground/mount studs on the gauges.

This applies to early gauge panels, not sure about later ones as I didn't have time to find my late panel and compare early and late units....