On the road again after 5 months

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

After 5 1/2 months rebuilding the front suspension (unemployment in the middle of the project stalled it a litte), I finally got to drive my 02 for the first time yesterday since October.

New bushings, control arms, steering components up front; new springs all around (Ireland Engineering) and new shocks (Bilstein HD's--front already has them) in back. I can't believe how light the steering is now and the road feel is great. I kept waiting for something to fall off, but I seem to have actually tightened down all the bolts.

Downside: engine ran like crap before I did all the work and it didn't fix itself while sitting. Time for a tune-up.

Upside: the back of the car doesn't bounce up and down anymore when I close the trunk.

I might even drive it to work tomorrow if I can work up my nerve to drive it on the DC beltway at rush hour.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

I drove mine all over the county on Saturday....MAN...I forgot what a RESPONSIVE car feels like!!!

Canb't wait fer Carlisle!!!

Paul

Guest Anonymous

...drive it to West Virgina in a couple of weeks! We don't care if it isn't clear done. Heck, it's a ready-made tech session: "OK, kids, here's how you put on the waist trim..." :-)

-Dave

Colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

200228.jpg

do you have a ton of toe in on the rear? how's it ride?

mine have oem springs that have a coil cut out and they toe in. in the rear and i want to get it fixed.

i'd like to stick w/the (~1 inch drop) and tight control, but loose the camber

-dave

Guest Anonymous

I'm using the Ireland Engineering Stage 1 Sport Springs. Visually they appear to have minimal camber, especially compared with the worn, stock springs I had before (which had significant negative camber). However, I haven't had an alignment yet to get a exact measurement off the rear.

I've only driven about 6 miles so I can't give a good answer yet for ride quality. However, I did go over some speed bumps and the ride was firm but not at all jarring.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

You can reduce the negative by turning the rear subframe mounts over. This places the subframe higher in the bodywork.

There are side effects, though. It tilts the differential and changes the driveshaft angle a little bit. Don't know if it's enough to matter.

Guest Anonymous

I have "other than car" duties between now and Carlisle (May 17th)...so I'm saving my spousal tolerance for THAT weekend! :-))....then there's Limerock in September, and Hershey in October...and...and...see where I'm going with this?

You all flatter me - REALLY - but I guess you'll just have to make it to Carlisle!

Paul

Maximill...