i finally have her!! =) (kinda long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

200228.jpg

well it's been a goofy month for me. went to texas last weekend to get her and drive her home, but that didn't work out (broken timing chain), and as it was, after the time to fix it, we wouldn't have gotten home in time for work on monday. so we nixed it, and tried for this weekend. Well it worked out.

We (my wife and I) met Dave Crawford in Bowling Green, KY on Sat. night to get the car. Originally we were going to meet in lexington, but as it turned out he hit ton's of traffic in tenn. so we moved it closer to where he was at. We got to bowling green and i was pooped.

So Sat. night we stayed at the fairfield inn in bowling green, had breakfast at the Crackel Barell next door (never really HAD grits, so i had some...not bad, but not too much taste...oh well) bs'd a bit w/crawford, who really is a nice guy, pulled her off the trailer (dave was nice enough to trailer her to bowling green for me) and fired her up...MAN did she sound good...

Dave adjusted the valves and man did they sound good...you could barely tell she was on...and we were off...

well the lack of power steering was just a bit to get use to, as well as the floor mounted petals (remember i'm use to the e30) but once on the highway it was a blast!!! she drove like a champ. i was very impressed w/her...

EVERYONE, and i mean everyone that drove past smiled, gocked and waved.Kentucky is the MOST BEAUTIFUL place i've ever seen. it's so green, and amazingly beautiful. Lexington i couldn't believe how awestruck it really was to see all that greenery...

cincinatti is a really beautiful city as well. it's really cool how you drive up and around the city, like a quick tour of it before moving on. off to columbus, then wheeling wva, then on home. the toughest part of the trip was to wheeling from columbus. definatly not as beautiful to drive through as kentucky, just kind of boring and straight, but necessary to get through to get home.

All in all the car drove like a champ. A couple of gremlins have loomed their little heads already.

1. the gas cap. the 'innards' of it cap came apart when first topping her off in lexington. unfortunatly i didn't have my tools w/me, so i drove w/like 1/2 a tank until i got home, and fixed it no problem....

2.interior gauge lights. we stoped at my parents house for dinner on the way home so they could see 'the car from texas'. so it was dark when we left. the gauges themselves worked great, but the lighting was first on, then not, then on, then not. it's definatly a short somewhere, but from mc carthy's book, it sound like i should check the fuse box first (any hints on this one are greatly appreciated)

she also started making a little squeel when slowing to a stop (w/out using the brakes).

other things on tap in the near future are putting together the center console and hooking up the radio and heat, taking apart the doors to get the windows to roll down easier as well as tighen up the side view mirror, UUC ST shifter w/cartridge and assorted bearings to be replaced, install the 19mm rear sway bar dave gave me (paul i need to get bushings for it from you) adjust the passenger door (it sags a bit and rubs on the chrome...etc, etc, etc...

oh the newfound joys of 02 ownership...=)

see you guys in wva!!!

-dave

ps.

the original seats really aren't that bad...i think these have been restuffed, but they were MUCH more comfortable than the focus seats we rented to get to kentucky.

Guest Anonymous

Did you realise if you turn the light on/off switch it

dims the instrument lights? Mine can be a bit

dodgy on full brightness, but if I turn the dimmer a

fraction they stay on - obviously old dirty contacts I

expect, but never bothered me enough to look into

it!

HTH, Nick

Guest Anonymous

It's probably possible to fix the old switch, but as I recall new ones aren't that expensive. I had the same problem, replaced the switch and now the instruments lights work great.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

Glad you enjoyed the Kentucky scenery; I sure do. I can't wait to check out the car at Canaan Valley.

Oh, and about the instrument lights: try taking your switch out and shooting some contact cleaner or TV tuner cleaner in it while turning the knob back and forth. It just might clean up some corrosion on it. Worth a try, anyway...

Have fun,

-Dave

Colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

cleaning the instrument dimming portion. Aat the very back of the switch you'll see a circular coil of resistance wire. Examine the coil carefully--it's probably just dirty and a good squirt with some electronic tuner cleaner (spray can from Radio Shack) might do the trick. Before reinstalling hook it back up to the wires and try it again. Otherwise, get a replacement switch--they don't go bad that often so a used switch will probably be OK.

Glad you had a good trip, and yes, I-70 from Cols to Wheeling isn't the most exciting drive, but there's a cool open spandrel arch bridge over the highway at Zanesville...

Cheers from OhiO

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I've seen the car since I live in Fort Worth. It won't take much to make it really great. I've also driven from DFW to Louisville (in a minivan, not in an 02, I'm not nuts), so I know where you've been.

Regarding your windows, I just fixed mine. Take the panels and plastic off the frame. Get several cans of brake cleaner, not degreaser. Brake cleaner evaporates and doesn't leave a stinky smell like regular degreaser. Liberally spray it all over the mechanisms and clean all the hardened grease and crap out of the interior of the door with a brush. Don't forget your keylocks. Be sure to have a catch pan under the door for all the dripping crap. Let it dry out for a long while and re-lube with lighter grease like white lithium or similar.

Guest Anonymous

200228.jpg

thanks a TON mike...i'll try that...i was going to try to use Greased Lightning to get the stuff off, but if the brake cleaner is what worked for you, then that's what i'll try...

it really doesn't need much to be perfect, and for the shape it's in currently i can't go wrong...just some little stuff do to, nothing big...dave REALLY hooked it up...those brakes are ROCK solid...i'm going to get the specs on what he did and, if he's cool w/it, see about posting it to the group.

i can't say enough about how lucky you guys are over there in dallas fort worth to have a guy like dave around. just a real great guy, who's really down to earth and will help you out as much as he can.

re the drive originally we were going to pick the car up in dallas and drive it to pittsburgh. in hindsight i think it's better that it worked out this way...if for anything else, the weather (which was REALLY bad two weeks ago from dallas all the way up the east coast) it was more uncomfortable in the focus than the 02 (at least in my opnion =)

-dave

Guest Anonymous

I sprayed my front crossmember with that stuff and it peeled a bunch of paint off. Luckily, I wasn't restoring to perfection, just cleaning things up a bit.