• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grey interior in late '02 - unusual or common? Restorable or

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Greetings,

Having been involved in '02's since 1995, I've looked at maybe 15 to 20 examples (many near death) throughout SE Michigan and have noted what seem to be typical color combinations, etc. While I've seen early 1600's and such with grey interiors, I've not seen a squarelight outfitted with such. My own otherwise humble standard '74 2002 was purchased with earlier restuffed seats, crudely recovered interior panels front and rear, black armrests, and salt and pepper carpetting. Outside of this strange mix of parts, the B-pillar vinyl overlays and the outer rear wheel arch vinyl is without question grey in color (after much vigorous cleaning I might add). Does anyone have a late grey interior that they might speak about, and would I be right to assume that the interior panels and armrests were also in grey? Pressing further, does anyone have any JPEG's of a late grey '02 interior? Is restoration of a late grey interior by anyones estimation a practical affair? I've seen blue, tan and black, but grey seem rare for a late car by my estimation. Am I wrong? Any and all insight greatly welcomed. Best regards...

Mike K.

'74 Malaga '02

Guest Anonymous

I have a -76 1502 which has light grey interior. Very good colour, sadly my interior is not in very good shape. Trouble (in addition to speakers and skrew holes) is that the staples that are used to assemble the panels are rusted and the rust has come through the light colour surface. Also sun has burned the upper edges of panels. I don't think it is very common colour, atleast I havent seen many of them.

Outside of my car is korall red. Pics here but not interior http://personal.inet.fi/cool/grt/main.html

Tommy

Guest Anonymous

mini02.jpg

Nifty car--close ratio 5 speed, iS wheels, fresh head work. Pic above is of him driving my '68. Sadly, the tii was stolen a couple of years ago.

The door panels were gray, my recollection is that the arm rests were too, but memory can play tricks. The interior was is very good shape, though it did show some of the wear the other poster mentioned--small rust stains from staples, upper panel edges toasted by the sun, etc.

HTH

Lee

Guest Anonymous

I have a schwarz 1975 with gray interior. I have no idea as to how to attach/send a photo to the group, so I'll send a jpeg directly to you.

Guest Anonymous

We thought it was kind of odd. We wandered around, dude-where's-my-car style for a while, but it was gone and was never recovered by the police. We tried alerting local parts places--still nothing.

I doubt the thieves knew it had a CR 5 speed. Car wasn't insured for theft, so we chalked it up to experience.

Guest Anonymous

recover it is weird. I've thought of pulling the tii logo off my car but then I think who knows what it is except enthusiasts? Most guys see a tii and leave a note on your windshield and ask to buy it or sell/give you some parts in their basement. Ahh life in the city.

Cars get stolen in Portland a lot and driven across the river into Washington State. They are then immediately out of Oregon jurisdiction and the cops won't/can't help you at all.

Funny story - a few years ago a guy got his classic Mustang stolen here and called the cops to report it missing. When they told him sorry can't help he said "did I mention I had a case of dynamite in the trunk from my job at work?". They put out an APB and found it in 10 minutes. But the dynamite was already gone... go figure?

Guest Anonymous

We were thinking the same thing--joy riders and it would turn up. But no. I can only guess this was a gone in 60 seconds type job--someone must have put in an "order" for a tii.

A guy here in the LA area had his E30 M3 race car stolen out of his driveway. They recovered it heading South, not far from the border. I imagine that's where my friend's tii is now. . . .

Guest Anonymous

Seems there is one less mystery in relation to my '02. Chances of sourcing a gray interior for my '02 seem pretty slim. All the same, it was certainly heartening to examine the many JPEG's sent along. Best regards and in your debt...

Mike Kotwick

'74 '02 Malaga/Grey(or once was)

Shelby Township, MI.