5 speed conversion Qs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

1. Is the stock 320 shifter rod any different from the stock 2002 rod? Which should I use?

2. What bushings/bearings should I replace to save trouble down the road?

3. Are the gaskets and seals the same for 4 speed from 2002 (I have a set) and 5 speed getrag 245 (I need a set? And does anyone have a spare set if not?

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

1. I would use the 2002 shifter rod. When used with the 320i 5 speed, it will give you a nice short shift throw. You might need to make a bushing for the bottom out of bronze or something....but then again, you might not!

2. You will want to replace all the bushings you can! the Cups that the ball on the shifter rod fits on, the one on the end of the transmission selector shaft, and the rubber ones where the shift platform mounts to the tranny.

3. Im not exactly sure, i know that the selector rod seal is the same. I think that maybe the input and output seals are as well, but im not really sure.

hope this helps! -Reid

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure which platform you have but If you use the 320i platform, do not use the early, fork style shifter and linkage. It will not engage the gears properly due to the new style platform interfering with the throw. I used the 320i platform, shifter, linkage (shortened of course), and bushings. I haven't compared it to other five speed conversions but it works very well. I liked the idea of keeping parts together that were designed to work together.

Guest Anonymous

It uses the existing transmission cross member bolt holes from the 4 speed setup and two additional mounting points that are drilled through the floor. Not only does this take out the hard step but it also adds stability to the frame, transmission and body. I own one but dont sell them just incase you are wondering...think painless