14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Introduction

themilkguy

I am not a 2002 owner... Sorry! lol

I have a 1973 520. E12 body, 2.0l carbed motor. So I guess that means I'll ask the firstfives.org guys body & suspension questions and save my electric & mechanical questions for you.

You're welcome! :)

In all seriousness, I really like this little car so far. I found it in a barn just outside town for less than $300CDN and drove it home. While it does need a little work (overstatement of the year) I am learning a lot about it as I go and having some fun getting my hands dirty. It's nice to work on a car without the pressure of needing it for my daily driver.

I invite you to have a look at her pictures so far. I have stripped the interior completely, welded in new floors, and am just getting my accelerator pedal hold-down plate cut for re-insertion.

http://picasaweb.google.com/craviation/1973bmw520

After this I'll be moving on to sound-deadening, dash repair, and general clean-up of the interior. I have no illusions of driving her this year, but perhaps by 2012 I'll have her on the road and then tweaked in time for her 40th birthday in October of 2013.

Looking forward to some lurking!

Cheers,

Craig

Welcome aboard.

I look forward to watching your progress as I have an E12 as well, (only 79 528i) that is long over due for some attention and paintwork. She's my daily driver and thus gets neglected while I finish my 2002 track project. Great cars, to me there's something about the E12 styling that the E28 and later generations lack.

Good luck with your project,

-shad

post-19334-13667636514386_thumb.jpg

Thanks Shad. I agree, there's something sweet about the body style.

I knew nothing about BMWs before I bought this car, but was looking for a project car that wasn't American steel - seems like everyone has a 1st gen Mustang. I have always wanted something different and, to be honest, economical.

Considering the condition and the price, the joy of working with points and a carburetor made it worthwhile to me. I'm looking forward to seeing her progress as well. ;)

Cheers!

in a Fiver engine bay...note the sheet metal extender to move the radiator back so it's closer to the fan...

BTW, how did you successfully remove the needles from your instruments? That's a very chancy job and you obviously succeeded without breaking a single one...Please share your trick.

cheers, and again, welcome

mike

Agreed! It does seem like a lot of space for that little engine.

With regards to the needles, the fuel and temperature needles came off with relative ease. Just easy prying - I used a fork for even pressure on each side.

My dash lacks a tachometer, in it's place I have a clock (for now.) Popping the hands off the clock was easy, but since I imagine a tach needle is like a speedometer needle, read on...

The speedo needle is counter-weighted inside the black center hub. First I slipped the needle past the stop post and marked where it came to rest so I have a reference point when I reassemble.

I'll try to get a picture of the back of that hub when I'm back in town next week; but the speedo needle is simply pushed into place on a thin metal rod (axle). Some cardboard against the face of the gauge should protect it as you work the fork (or needle puller, which I did not have access to.) I recommend a shot of WD40 or similar to free up the bind between rod and hub.

While I love the black faces I'm a sucker for whites, so I scanned the originals, re-drew them in Corel, and had them printed on gloss cardstock at a local print company... $3 for 2 copies of each.

I don't know how a 2002's gauges are lit, but mine are lit from above. It made the whole process of changing the gauge colour quite easy.

Cheers