Holy Sh*t, my car is now super fast!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I finished treaking out the carb today and almost wet my pants when I took the car for a ride. My new Lynx single DCOE setup is really nice for my engine. Car pulls really strong to redline and is really fun to drive now. It was definitely a nice upgrade from my current 38/38 DGAS setup.

The entire kit was a bolt on except for having to put on a 320i coolant bypass to elimintate the coolant going to the manifold. I also had to make the coolant neck that is located next to cylinder #1 the same thickness as the manifold as the manifold was slightly not as thick as the coolant neck (the 2 share the same bolt above cylinder #1). A minute with the bench grinder did the trick. Other than that, piece of cake. So far, I have no complaints and will keep the board notified if anything pops up. I just wanted to share my initial experiences with this setup.

Guest Anonymous

What idle jets did you use? What tuning to the carb did you have to do to get it running good? Are you using the stock fuel pump?

I have some more questions as I am going to be doing the exact same thing in the next few days... If you have a few minutes drop me an email so I can ask you without cloging up the boards. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

I have one of these setups and the performance is awesome. You get the same or maybe slightly better gas mileage than the 38/38 downdraft so why do you say the gas mileage goes to hell? Do you own one of these setups to comment on it? This is not a dual DCOE setup but the SINGLE carb setup. If you get bad gas mileage than your mechanic does not know what he is doing. I do not want to start a war over this but I know this setup is not bad.

As far as performance, my car car can beat probably any 38/38 down draft. I found the 38/38 to have the typical flaw that everyone comments on.... it has a flat spot on acceleration that you either live with or you have to run the carb rich.... remember that this carb was designed for a 3L engine. I also found that when I had the 38/38 down draft that the car would run aggressively.... meaning I had to always run it fast or else it would bog down. That can be good for spirited driving but the car does not like to be running at slow speeds so I found I had to down shift alot to keep the carb from bogging. Not fun for everyday driving. This symptom is hard to explain but if you drive a 38/38 over a 32/36 this will definitely stick out. With the Lynx setup I found that I was not forced to keep accelerating like I did with the 38/38. Overall I do not know a better setup than the Lynx for a stock or mildly modified engine. If you have a stage II engine, than the dual DCOE setup will beat the Lynx. These were my experiences but I can back them up. If you go to Carlisle, we can do some racing there as I will have my car there. Lets see which is the better setup! -Mike

Guest Anonymous

It's been my experience that there's just as much power to be found in a 38/38 DGS as there is in a single sidedraft setup - people are, however, more used to tuning sidedrafts, and there's a larger experience base, so they tend to be a bit closer in terms of mixture. The on-throttle bog in the 38/38 is a result of accelerator pump over-richness - hell, you run the thing exactly as it came from off a 3-Liter V6 (Ford's "Cologne" engine, found in Capris, I believe), of COURSE it's going to be too rich.

Sam