• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do for a living?

Frenchee

Left home at 15, worked as a field hand, cabinetmaker, painter, and carpenter through high school and during six hears at the university - history, philosophy and architecture. Did stints as a research librarian, lecturer, and printer. Eventually returned to development and construction and founded my company 28 years ago. Currently trying to transition into partial retirement, but still overseeing operations at my company. I'm also a partner in a small consulting firm and provide mediation and other alternative dispute resolution services in construction and real estate.

If I had to do it over again, I'd have studied physics and become a mad scientist, or just moved to Italy and raced bicycles for a living like my oldest son is doing! To echo what everyone else has said, the path is rarely straight and keeping it fresh is most of the battle.

Awesome!

Thanks for everyones advice and intellect.

Shipm8 cool presentation!

So really no one here seems to have had an ideal plan and keep through it. Everyones done so many different jobs/assignments and gone off different routes in school

Very interesting.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

blenders, etc.

Really? You know, I'm getting married this year.....whadya got in the way of industrial-strength, ice-crushing blenders suitable for medium-scale margarita production?

Sorry Clay. Our blenders aren't FDA approved, although we can make them out of stainless steel for an added fee. Our standard mixer holds 650 lbs. of plastic and is "stirred" using a 5HP 460V/3/60 parallel offset gearbox.

Hope your marriage celebration is in the warmer months - Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

With your location, I assume you are really working for the TV show in LA? Any chance the location "Wisteria Lane" was derived from Wisteria Ln. in Pasadena/San Marino? My wife and I noticed that street driving in the area and were always curious.

Correct - Show is filmed @ Universal Studios. Wisteria Lane was chosen as a generic name, as was the mythical town of Fairview. But when the pilot was shot, the street you mentioned was considered....but the neighborhood balked @ the intrusion the show would have caused. Good call- we're in our eighth year!

One of my Sales reps. lives on Wisteria Lane in Churchville, PA. Guess that location isn't exiting enough for a TV Show.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I think you got it Frenchee:

It's your path, you chose.

Listen to everybody's (family/friends) advice, but it's up to you.

Rijco in Washington State:

What' s your son's name? What team is he with?

We're always looking to root for someone.

Lots of cyclists here on the FAQ.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Awesome!

So really no one here seems to have had an ideal plan and keep through it. Everyones done so many different jobs/assignments and gone off different routes in school

Very interesting.

FRENCHEE

I'm 24 and can certainly can relate to being uncertain about mechanical engineering, as I am now studying it. Let me tell you, it is actually fun. It's fun knowing I'm succeeding in something that I was such a a failure at in high school, but I cannot stress enough how important a positive outlook is before tackling it.

After high school I became a ski bum and worked at a few resorts (BigSky, Yellowstone Club, Mt. Hood meadows) determined to just enjoy a good life. With money saved up I flew off to Italy to study automotive design at IED Torino and was fortunate to learn from guys at Pininfarina, Bertone, and others. Now I am studying mechanical engineering in pursuit of emulating Battista Ferrina and Ettore Bugatti.

Who knows what'll happen, just give it your best shot and don't be afraid to have some fun.

Awesome!

Very interesting.

FRENCHEE

I'm 24 and can certainly can relate to being uncertain about mechanical engineering, as I am now studying it. Let me tell you, it is actually fun. It's fun knowing I'm succeeding in something that I was such a a failure at in high school, but I cannot stress enough how important a positive outlook is before tackling it.

After high school I became a ski bum and worked at a few resorts (BigSky, Yellowstone Club, Mt. Hood meadows) determined to just enjoy a good life. With money saved up I flew off to Italy to study automotive design at IED Torino and was fortunate to learn from guys at Pininfarina, Bertone, and others. Now I am studying mechanical engineering in pursuit of emulating Battista Ferrina and Ettore Bugatti.

Who knows what'll happen, just give it your best shot and don't be afraid to have some fun.

Holy crap.

Idont understand how so many people do this.

Just decide to do random cool things like be a skii bum and then just take off to italy and study automotive design.

Like how in the world do you guys come up with ideas like that. I feel like my life is ruined if I dont finish my education in 4 years.

How did u guys not freak out?

So facsinating you guys have had time to do so many different things adn then go back to school and finish your education or extend it.

Very cool. I feel like I would run out of time in my life or money. I forget im only 18

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

I've been asking myself that too Frenchee, especially after reading this thread. I think less and less people today are doing that path; our society today tends to suggest 4 year university for most students, which may not always be the best path for them.

Aceandrew, you're a boss, that's freakin' awesome.

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

• Administrators

I went to UC Davis for Aeronautical Engineering. While there i started dealing with computers. During School got a part time gig dealing with office computers in a small law firm. After school went to work for a bigger internet company. Have been working for those for 11 years now. Currently a Sr. Service Engineer at Yahoo!

I try to separate work from Home as much as i can. For the first few years in this industry i've had to put 12 to 14 hours a day at small start ups. Right now i can leave the office and think about other things.

I like to play with cars, but i want to keep that as a hobby and not job. This will i will keep the interest in it for a bit longer :) I do have a couple hobbies that clear my mind, racing and hockey. I am now trying biking too, but that just gives way too much time to think.

Over all i think right now i have a busy, but well balanced life.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

To SteveJ (and anyone else following cycling)

My son is Kiel Reijnen. He was with several domestic teams, including Jelly Belly for two years. He's won or been in the the top three in several prestigious races over the years, both in the US and internationally. He's now signed with Team Type 1, which is a US sponsored team but based in Italy. He just moved to Lucca, Italy (as of last week), where he will be based for the next two years, at least.

Speaking of a meandering course, he started racing when he was 15, and raced his way through the ranks as he finished high school and attended University of Colorado for his engineering degree. Now he's two classes away from his degree but can't really stick around to finish it without putting his cycling career on hold, so....college drop-out for now but a promising future no matter what he does.

As opportunity swings through your life, you grab the ring and hold on. As I've told both my boys many, many times - what characterizes adult life is the necessity of making almost all your most important decisions without all the information you need to make a fully logical choice. So, best to hope your intuition is equally well developed, as you'll need it when logic can't give you a complete answer (which is most of the time).

And he's got a '76 2002 I helped him get into DD condition. It's now going into storage for a couple of years.

We'll look forward to seeing Team Type 1 on the Amgen this year. I imagine the team will get an invite as their mission gels well with the host sponsor.

Maybe I'll bring a 2002 hat or shirt and see if I can get your son to trade for some team schwag. My last 2002 hat ended up being traded in France this past summer.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

SORRY FOR THE HIJACK !

TO THOSE FOLLOWING CYCLING:

Actually, Team Type 1 is shooting for an entry into the Giro d'Italia, which happens the same time (May) as the Amgen Tour of California, so we are waiting to hear which race they will be in this year. If it's the Giro, I'll HAVE to go to Italy to watch my son! Last time I saw the Giro was in 1974, when I rode my bike through Italy paying homage to all the great Italian frame builders of the day, Ciocc, Guerciotti, Masi, Colnago, Mondonico, .

If not the Giro, then I'll have to drive my 1602 down to California and watch him tear up the streets in some of my old training areas - Santa Cruz, Bay Area, etc.

Either way, what a great journey for a young man (and for his over-excited father! )