• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do for a living?

Frenchee

Well it looks like most 02 owners here are in technical professions, largely Engineering/IT/Medical. I guess the car, and BMWs in general, draw tech professionals due to their advanced (new BMW's) and simple but so well thoguht out (02's) desgins. And as was mentioned earlier it is so great to work on and drive such a simple tool as an 02, when you work day to day with new technologies. Great thread Frenchee! This is much more informative than similar threads on the M3 Forum.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Frenchee,

A few months ago I gave a presentation to a group of alumni and students at the University of San Diego. The background theme was along the lines of your question and, while I tried to not frame any of my comments in any way that would resemble advice, some found the words useful (or maybe they were just being polite). I am attaching the text, in case it is useful to you as yet one more point of view as you explore options. Whatever you decide to do, best wishes for happiness and success.

My career journey: Errand guy for a fashion company, Navy enlisted sailor, Math and Physics tutor, medical and legal interpreter, Navy surface warfare officer, US Gov't officer, international business, residential real estate, security consultant (certified protection professional)...at one point along that path, I pursued flight training with the idea to fly commercially but life took me elsewhere. I still wish I could use my multi engine commercial seaplane certificate but I think that would entail moving to Alaska, and we are very much a San Diego crew here.

This is a fascinating thread. Thanks for starting it. What a diverse and interesting group!

William

[edit]: You might consider taking aptitude testing to see what your strengths lie, and see how you can mesh them with your preferences. Check out the Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation... http://www.jocrf.org/. Even if you pursue something for which you have no natural aptitude, at least you know....

101026 Alumni-Student Presentation-Scheibner.pdf

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

wanted to drive boats after high school. parents wanted me to go to college. compromise was that i attended the Coast Guard Academy. did lots of cool stuff like driving ships in the Bering Sea, busting drug smugglers in the caribbean, intercepting migrants and the coolest thing..saving people. they sent me to grad school for an MSCIS and I have been in IT ever since. 34years of wearing a CG uniform so far, and still counting. If you find something you like to do, for an organization with a mission you love, and work with people who amaze you every day....stick with it.

2xM3

wanted to drive boats after high school. parents wanted me to go to college. compromise was that i attended the Coast Guard Academy. did lots of cool stuff like driving ships in the Bering Sea, busting drug smugglers in the caribbean, intercepting migrants and the coolest thing..saving people. they sent me to grad school for an MSCIS and I have been in IT ever since. 34years of wearing a CG uniform so far, and still counting. If you find something you like to do, for an organization with a mission you love, and work with people who amaze you every day....stick with it.

Had I known about the Coast Guard, I would have joined it! Navy Recruiter sent me a bunch of pamphlets showing happy sailors walking down the pier with charming host nationals next to them, in exotic ports of call(*)....and it was a done deal for this then-18 year old. There is a benefit to doing a bit more research.....missed out on the opportunity to ride the Barque Eagle, for instance!

(*) they were all models, but what did I know? They looked real!

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

bills2002

We are Options on the call sign. I'm in the 700's Like OPT 712, 709 etc..

John

Hey John, are you in a Beach Jet and based in CVG? My controllers say Options is in BHM almost every day.

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

IT here, I manage production systems, worked my way up from helpdesk to sysadmin within a year of leaving school... with a polysci degree. Many years later I still love it.

Don't discount IT, it takes many hours of hard work.

No, I don't mind the crazy hours either. I can get woken up by a phone call at 3am, work to fix the issue, and be back to sleep within minutes....

Yeah when something just works for you... it'll just flow.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

]Mechanical Engineer- So entering SJSU this year I had this in mind. After talking to many people taking the program I feel discouraged. I have a really really hard time with math. I put so many hours into my algebra class and barely understood it... As much as I think creating machinery robots or new car parts would be cool I doubt I could ever get through these crazy physics calsses and calculus classes.

Having paid my way to school during my sophomore year tutoring algebra, trig and calculus for 20 hours a week (yes I aced every single math class), I found that most people have a mental block when it comes to math. Always caused by a terrible experience with a bad teacher. There is nothing to "understand" in Algebra. It is very straight forward and "mechanical", and the rules are simple and just a few - actually it is pretty dull (and that is probably what the problem is). But you must master algebra to move to analytical geometry & calculus (which is 90% algebra), and that is where the fun starts, dealing with infinitesimals and infinity is an experience (how did they ever come up with that!). My advice is to get your math out of the way, do not be intimidated, choose a good instructor (junior colleges have the best), once you get through ALL calculus classes, embark on Physics - it may take longer but taking Physics and Math concurrently is tough.

If you can do check book math you can do this, it just takes work and dedication.

It's an inherent problem with the system. Different people reach the maturity of learning algebra at different stages in their lives. Yet, we push it down the throats of 8th graders. It starts there and it's downhill after that. For those who are ready (about 10% of the population) everything goes well. For the rest, it's a struggle, accompanied by frustration and disdain. It take years to repair the damage.

But politicians wants "standards for EVERYONE." One size fits all. As if people were like items on an assembly plant. It's frustrating for students. It's even more frustrating for teachers.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

If I may offer advice - just keep working at something. The rest will work its self out. I made the mistake of letting my misdirection slow me down. My problem is a strange one - I want to do everything.

I would agree. I am 20 and am currently at a community college and last year realized this same concept. Now im working for a degree in cinematography and photography, hopefully minoring in business and marketing.

this is interesting reading all the professions: good thread idea.

1971 BMW 2002

One more related word of advice - in your professional world, make friends with everyone!

NEVER consciously choose to make an enemy of anyone at work. Always try to seek that one redeeming social value a person has.

That is not to say you have to spend Friday night Happy Hour with them or dance at their wedding, just learn to make them think you would.

I've seen more skilled people fail because they couldn't muster the support of those around them and conversely have seen less skilled people rise to the top because they never made an enemy along the way.

One of the greatest career skills anyone can master is to learn not to telegraph your true feelings about those you work with. Make them all believe that in your eyes, they have true worth, no matter what your true feelings may be.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Early 2010, my boss and I were lucky enough to be laid off due to budget cuts from our jobs in public education IT so we did what we always wanted to do, start our own IT consulting/support company. We both had a couple small medical offices that we serviced on the side and when they found out that we started a full time company it just blew up from there. In 4 months we grew from a 10x10 office that we shared and barely fit 2 desks to a full office suite. We also did this with no start up costs whatsoever. As we got checks from clients, we bought stuff we needed. Our budget minded experience in an enterprise level environment has allowed our company to fair extremely well in the small-medium medical office market.

I really never thought that I would be in the position I am now as a company owner. I absolutely love it and wouldn't trade it for anything now. It was a tough decision after getting that layoff notice, though. We had talked about starting our own company for a long time but when it finally came to it, I was scared to death. I scheduled interviews that I canceled last minute, knowing when they offered me the position, I wouldn't turn it down. If my wife hadn't been so supportive of starting the company, I would have taken one of those jobs.

Being 25, I'm still fairly young also but I know that this is my calling. When I was your age, I was working in car audio and the opportunity to work in the IT field came up so I jumped on it. My advice for your career is when you have an opportunity, take it. When you are young, you can afford to start over. Also, don't shy away from something just because you don't think it is your "passion", you can still love your job. I do love the IT work but as the company gets bigger, that is actually less of what my role is. What really gets me going during the day is project planning, client interaction and networking with other companies.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

Otisdog - Otis here - next time I'm in LA, can I drop by for a set tour? And a picture - you and me, Otis and Otisdog - and maybe add Angelyene?

Yup, we can do that. Just can't go on a set that they are filming...and I don't want to get any where close to that antique thing in pink!

Otisdog won't be able to join us - real dogs aren't allowed on the lot unless they're part of a shoot, and I'm on double secret probation for getting busted for sneaking him in...

great read....thanks for the initial post.

I was good w/ my hands....good in science....bio/anatomy especially....wanted to be my own boss....set my own hours.....have flexibility.......being rich was not a big goal...just have enough!!...lol...now I can say..what is enough...?

Graduated undergrad....majored in science......was running track.....got hurt...went to a DC (for a young but aging spine)......a very very long legged short skirted one...nice cleavage too........worked p/t for a kick ass aftermarket parts house...cibie...recaro...vdo..marchal..scheel....repco...billies......stahlflex...Miller and Norburn...alpina........etc.....

my 73 sahara was loaded to the gills........hahaha....I had no money...but the 02 had it all....

after a few yrs my dad says....so what r u doing?...cars for a living or what?.....

i remembered how great the female chiro was.....did I say long legs...cleavage etc?...ok so I did.

I went back to school took a physics course I needed, and off to grad/chiro school in Ga. for 4 yrs........i drove that 02 from NY to Atlanta over 12 x or so...80 mph non stop. I always took the same co driver...a short healthy girl from NJ.....she co drove a bit and helped w/ gas......I remember her saying how hard and confining the Recaro LS was, how loud the ansa was....and how friggin fat the Ronnie peterson Momo was.....oh and y did we always put the heat on in summer traffic!...lol

I love what I do.......I still love 02s....my back still is horrible( my car hobby doesnt help, or my career)......and I still think of that chiro!

some great advice here.........spend time out in the field w/ peeps who do the work!!!!!!!!!...get a real feel for it!!........ask questions about hrs...salary.....limits.... benefits.........etc etc.....

Look at yourself.......are you self driven.....steady...energetic?....

getting a salary and benefits etc can be very rewarding, and at 5 pm you are done. Being self employed has its pluses as well, but having to create every single dollar every single day, and having to write all the checks can be stressful as all get up...how do you feel geared?...

at 52 yo now...there are alot of other things I wouldve enjoyed doing as well.....but I really never knew! Its a shame how we have to choose early on....

I treat thousands of people a yr....most HATE the work they do........most hate the life they have.....its sad.

oh..about the chiro...kind of a CHarlie Theron type, really......turns out I met a few fellows that were patients.....and she was a bit of a ..well uh...a bit friendly to her patients.....strong libido you could say......me?..I never knew....not a clue..no sign.......guess my bad spine turned her off......lol