Frenchee

What do you do for a living?

335 posts / 6658879 viewsLast Reply

Mechanical Engineer- So entering SJSU this year I had this in mind. After talking to many people taking the program I feel discouraged. I have a really really hard time with math. I put so many hours into my algebra class and barely understood it... As much as I think creating machinery robots or new car parts would be cool I doubt I could ever get through these crazy physics calsses and calculus classes.

Man, this is exactly what I was saying at your age! I'm great at designing and building things and creating solutions to problems, but I could never make it through the math classes required for the degree (I made it through Trig, that's it). I got my degree in Management with an IT minor. The most important thing is to get a BA or higher degree of some sort. If you want to work for the FBI, you need to have and keep a squeaky-clean background because they WILL check up on EVERYTHING you did. I work for a Police Dept. and even my background was thorough and included a polygraph with tough questions. FBI is worse to get in the door, but I'm sure it would be an interesting job. They main thing to remember if you go through the background process is don't LIE about things you did in the past. If they are not too bad and you tell the truth you'll pass, but if you lie they will find out and disqualify you for lying, not for what you did wrong.

When I was younger I always had two fields I wanted to work in: Art or Medicine.

My first real career move was joining the Navy at 19 and becoming a Hospital Corpsman, my first duty station (1999) was with 1st Battalion 5th Marines (which caught me off guard cause I always wanted to be on a ship like my dad.) In 2003, I rotated to the Washington Navy Yard in DC where I enjoyed working on a rig as an EMT, because it was exciting and the guys at the firehouse were cool.

When I got out, I had enough of the medical field and switched over to studying art. Got my BFA with a concentration in graphic design. Even before graduating I had already designed tee's and products for companies like Stussy, Oakley, Reebok, Clarks and more. Which has been a dream come true; however my military service is what I look back upon and feel proud for doing.

Mechanical Engineer- ...

Business- ...

At OSU we have a program called IME(Industrial Manufacturing Engineering) which is basically business engineering. It's not as math intensive as MechE but you still get to work around an environment of design. The degree is technically for managerial positions but once you're in a company there's almost always room for lateral movement. My friends have gone to many different places, two that come to mind right now are Boeing(Renton, WA) and Leatherman Tools(Portland).

Civil Engineering has a similar degree called CEM(Construction Engineering Management) and it's not math intensive at all. Believe me, there are many very dumb people in that program and if they can get through it you should have no problem with it. Those are the guys that go on to managing construction projects, they make a pretty penny and get to work outside. That's also what the USFS is moving towards, contracting out all the engineering jobs and replacing their engineers with contract administrators(CEM graduates).

Mechanical Engineer- So entering SJSU this year I had this in mind. After talking to many people taking the program I feel discouraged. I have a really really hard time with math. I put so many hours into my algebra class and barely understood it... As much as I think creating machinery robots or new car parts would be cool I doubt I could ever get through these crazy physics calsses and calculus classes.

Physics and calculus courses will make up the first two years of your education, then the next couple after will be learning to apply and use that knowledge within the context of engineering subjects(thermo, fluids, etc.). To do well towards the end of your undergraduate studies and graduate studies requires a fluency in calculus(differential equations mainly) and physics equal to that of how most people can do arithmetic. Simple algebraic equations once taken for granted become differential equations, in problems where the math is considered a trivial part of finding the solution.

Mechanical engineering isn't something to study on a whim or pick at random out of a catalog. But if you are truly interested in the subject, I think a bit of extra effort and determination may be enough to overcome poor math skills.

One thing I notice is that people on the outside of healthcare may not appreciate how much teamwork goes on behind the scenes. Everything from engineering to housekeeping, lab techs to the guy that runs the coffee cart. No one person performs their greatness without the support of someone else on the team, directly or indirectly.

I believe C.D. was making the point that nurses don't always get the respect that they are due.

Frenchee-

You've started a good thing here. Time to do your soul searching. Have you taken the ASVAB or Meyers-Briggs tests? Good place to collect info on your strengths and likes. Write down all your likes/dislikes and pros/cons for different jobs. Even if it isn't the job for you, you will discover more about what it is that really suits you.

As you see, there are infinite types of jobs out there.

manage commercial real estate ,maintenance on wifes dental practice, auto parts sales. Parts sales has turned into 14 hours a day so something has to give. Ill be fully automated with a new website soon. Hope to cut down some hours

One thing I notice is that people on the outside of healthcare may not appreciate how much teamwork goes on behind the scenes. Everything from engineering to housekeeping, lab techs to the guy that runs the coffee cart. No one person performs their greatness without the support of someone else on the team, directly or indirectly.

I believe C.D. was making the point that nurses don't always get the respect that they are due.

Frenchee-

You've started a good thing here. Time to do your soul searching. Have you taken the ASVAB or Meyers-Briggs tests? Good place to collect info on your strengths and likes. Write down all your likes/dislikes and pros/cons for different jobs. Even if it isn't the job for you, you will discover more about what it is that really suits you.

As you see there are infinite types of jobs out there.

On that same note - take the highlands ability battery. Myers briggs will tell you what your preferences are and is a great tool. The hartman value profile could be of some use too.

Construction Coordinator for Desperate Housewives.

With your location, I assume you are really working for the TV show in LA? Any chance the location "Wisteria Lane" was derived from Wisteria Ln. in Pasadena/San Marino? My wife and I noticed that street driving in the area and were always curious.

I'm currently a Chemist for a small CRO, doing agricultural and bioanalytical testing. Went to school for Chemistry, and actually ended up doing it for a living. My last job (first one out of school) was with a company that manufactured analytical instruments, and I was half of the repair and quality control department.

Not sure which I like more...

]Mechanical Engineer- So entering SJSU this year I had this in mind. After talking to many people taking the program I feel discouraged. I have a really really hard time with math. I put so many hours into my algebra class and barely understood it... As much as I think creating machinery robots or new car parts would be cool I doubt I could ever get through these crazy physics calsses and calculus classes.

Having paid my way to school during my sophomore year tutoring algebra, trig and calculus for 20 hours a week (yes I aced every single math class), I found that most people have a mental block when it comes to math. Always caused by a terrible experience with a bad teacher. There is nothing to "understand" in Algebra. It is very straight forward and "mechanical", and the rules are simple and just a few - actually it is pretty dull (and that is probably what the problem is). But you must master algebra to move to analytical geometry & calculus (which is 90% algebra), and that is where the fun starts, dealing with infinitesimals and infinity is an experience (how did they ever come up with that!). My advice is to get your math out of the way, do not be intimidated, choose a good instructor (junior colleges have the best), once you get through ALL calculus classes, embark on Physics - it may take longer but taking Physics and Math concurrently is tough.

If you can do check book math you can do this, it just takes work and dedication.

My advice is to get your math out of the way, do not be intimidated, choose a good instructor (junior colleges have the best), once you get through ALL calculus classes, embark on Physics - it may take longer but taking Physics and Math concurrently is tough.

If you can do check book math you can do this, it just takes work and dedication.

One thing that helped me was applied mathematics. We were all surprised that many of us knew and used algebraic equaitions without realizing it.

With your location, I assume you are really working for the TV show in LA? Any chance the location "Wisteria Lane" was derived from Wisteria Ln. in Pasadena/San Marino? My wife and I noticed that street driving in the area and were always curious.

Correct - Show is filmed @ Universal Studios. Wisteria Lane was chosen as a generic name, as was the mythical town of Fairview. But when the pilot was shot, the street you mentioned was considered....but the neighborhood balked @ the intrusion the show would have caused. Good call- we're in our eighth year!

I'm a manufacturing engineer. I work to translate the designs of mechanical and electrical engineers into something that can actually be manufactured.

Worked for Apple for several years (leading the iPad program) but recently moved on to a fuel cell company to try and change the world a different way.

I started as a mechanical engineer in college and didn't like it. Manufacturing engineering is interesting work, definitely not as intensive in the math and theoretical aspects of engineering as other disciplines but very heavy on the practical aspects.

Everything has to be made somewhere, and my jobs have taken me all over the world. China, Japan, Taiwan, Switzerland, Germany ...

Go to college, take a lot of classes until you find something that fits. There's a lot more out there than most high schoolers realize (myself included).