New Step Headers @ Ireland

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL:

Step Headers @ Ireland

Ireland writes a rave review about these new headers, and they are almost half the price of the Stahl headers. Anybody have any feedback to give on these headers?

I am not very familiar with headers and Ireland gives alot of numbers that I don't quite understand. Someone think they could hit the link and tell me what they are talking about? Pretty much any header made for the 2002 will fit onto any head and any resonator correct?

Hope these questions aren't too repeated or boneheaded. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

20033312741_Mvc-032s.jpg

I applaud Ireland as one of the few companies that are still looking to create new 02 products. I just wish there was more.

According to the description, it is a 4 to 1 design with stepped primaries. This means that the 4 pipes from the head stay seperate until they come together in a collector where they merge into a single pipe. The stepped part has to do with how the primaries are not single diameter for the entire pipes length, but increase from one pipe diameter to a larger one as you move away from the exhaust port towards the collector. To build on their description of benefits - a small pipe diameter keeps the exhaust gas velocity high (good for mid range). By using only a limited length of smaller diameter pipe, you can avoid killing flow on the top end where the exhaust gas pressure is even higher. A long length of small diameter pipe would restrict flow.

If I only had a couple of grand to have HyTech build me a header. Pic is of a racing Tri-Y design (4 goes into 2 and then 2 goes into the collector) for a honda. It is difficult to tell that this is the arrangement, but if you look closely, the tri-y is apparent. Of particular interest are the anti-reversion chambers (the 4 bulbous things) that help fight the exhaust flow reversing and pushing spent exhaust gas back into the chamber.

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://bmw2002.rebuiltdiesel.com

I've got their race step header in the mail for my new motor. It looks particularly well made.. it wasn't pretty but it's an ireland race product so I didn't expect much. The reason I got it was I called to purchase their used stahl race header they have listed but the step header can be mounted and unmounted with the motor in the car on solid mounts.. anyone with a stahl knows custom fitment is required to clear brake lines.. tranny housings.. etc.. This one supposedly tucks up nicely under the car so you don't have that exhaust hanging down under the car like old vintage saab's. I'll take pics of fitment and everything... check my website in like 24 hours...