320 rear brakes sticking / dragging, E brake cables?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK I looked at the FAQ and did a search and didn't find anything specific, so here's what's up.

I installed 320 rear brakes on my '76 and they been dragging ever since. I've adjusted them, I have them professionly adjusted and they still drag.

I've been told to get Turbo e-brake cables because they are longer, but is there something else that can be done? I've got my 325is BBS wheels on now and am tried of the dust.

Thanks,

Arne

Guest Anonymous

2002sm.jpg

you can disconnect the parking cable and see if they still drag.

If the springs are not on properly you might get the to stick too.

steve

Guest Anonymous

wound up having to double up on the lower brake shoe pull-back springs to get the e-brake arms to retract fully and stop the brakes from dragging.

Suspect that the problem originates with the brake cable's flex covering being too long (with the bigger backing plate, the mounting point for the cable is closer to the chassis than it is on an '02 backing plate) which forces the cable sleeve into a more pronounced "S" curve than it's designed for, resulting in more drag on the cable inside the sleeve.

Installing turbo cables would probably eliminate the problem, but I haven't taken that step yet - adding the second pull-back spring hasn't caused any identifiable problems so far (car's been driven about 12k miles since then).

Guest Anonymous

Steve,

new steel braided lines and I rebuilt the cylinders.

I'm going to tear them down and make sure for sure they are installed correctly.

Also, Isn't ther someone that is talking about selling disc brake mounting plates for the VW Rabbit/Jetta caliper. If so who is that again?

Thanks,

Arne

Guest Anonymous

Check the flex lines that go through the sub frame. These often collapse from the inside allowing brake fluid to be forced to the brakes on braking, but the restricted opening will not allow the fluid to return out of the cylinder causing the brakes to stay in some form of engaged condition. Heated up a set of 320s in Denver this year because of old flex lines.

You next post is,,,,how do I get those off. Use line wrenches, they do help.