• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 2002 Northern California $11500 (nt)

KarenBerkeley

Jmon:

yes the car is for sale

and I do appreciate most input I have gotten but clearly Im out of the league most of you occupy.

I have gotten some obscene horrible screaming replies via craigslist and I never thought about how many crazy freaks could be on so many websites

gosh, I just wanted to sell my car and thought that this website would be the place to post it.

I'm tired and down after these exchanges along with my regular day of work but not defeated. You guys could help me in setting a better asking price now that I have disclosed everything I spent and on what and what is needed.

Honestly, even before spending ten grand on her, I didn't want to fix her grilles, I like having a car that shows some character and scrapes. This is not a car to go in a parade but to drive with zest and abandon and damn, she does make me smile each time I'm behind the wheel.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jmon:

I looked at that site, thank you. good to know.

I bought this car for $5000, thought it would take equally that to bring it up to snuff and instead spent double. But cannot ask for what I spent.

Who knew?

I've bought all my BMWs used and this has been the most expensive to repair and things like the gas tank took a week to arrive.

I would have kept going because this is a great car. But a single person having 3 cars is outrageously indulgent and I am from Berkeley, I am not that excessive. Hah, I dropped ten grand on that car! And I'm saying I'm not excessive.

White flag, folks. I'll donate her to breast cancer or NPR. I never had this much trouble selling a BMW. Learned my lesson!

, I didn't want to fix her grilles, I like having a car that shows some character and scrapes. This is not a car to go in a parade but to drive with zest and abandon and damn, she does make me smile each time I'm behind the wheel.

you deserve to keep this car. what you wrote is the essence of these cars for so many of us. for the sunk cost you'll never retrieve, wouldn't it be cheaper to merely hire a cab or rent a car anytime you needed to transport your mother?

several years ago i donated an 02 that i spent a ton of money in new parts on because i didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell it. sadly, the charity turned out to be a scam. hard lesson, learned. however, the skillset i acquired restoring it helped on the next one i did, which i painted myself (and learned the process and mistakes).

i am sure you have a very good car now, but there are a lot of little things that inevitably need attention. it is best to either have deep pockets or be handy with tools. the market can be unforgiving when it comes time to sell and most learn the hard lesson that car restoration is typically a loosing proposition.

i hope you keep it or find a deserving buyer.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

sometimes we need to be shocked to be brought down to reality....the cold hard facts are simply that what you spent on the car is what most normal owners of an old car would consider the cost you spent to keep driving it for the duration of your ownership...

you state no special features, such as 5 speed, FI engine...etc, etc that would place it in the same price range as a very nice TII...or even a nicer 68-71 sedan...the saddest part is that it may be worth less than what you paid for it...you'll find out it's value when someone writes you a check...or see the sale by NPR or goodwill

it's a cruel world out there but you opened the door and asked the wolves to come inside when you posted it for sale here or craigslist

esty

you don't have to be a wolf. You assumed I was a ditz or doodoohead. Then you write something intelligent and insightful like in this last comment. I am guessing you are a guy. Lighten up on yourself, said the cancer survivor. There are alot of better things to fight. It's just a car. It's just an ad. It's all over in fact.

esty

you don't have to be a wolf. You assumed I was a ditz or doodoohead. Then you write something intelligent and insightful like in this last comment. I am guessing you are a guy. Lighten up on yourself, said the cancer survivor. There are a lot of better things to fight. It's just a car. It's just an ad. It's all over in fact.

actually, i'm an old valley girl, not a wolf and i don't and haven't thought you weren't smart but when you come to play, you should know how...if i could give you one piece of advise it would be don't be so thinskin'd...it only gets heavier in real life than it was here

and you can't delete an entire thread after there are responses...and BTW...IMO, if you'd been a guy, the wolves would have torn you apart...i may have saved your ass attracting attention to myself with my 1st pissy post

Here is the CL ad.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2137808984.html

Was this the same car from over a year ago that the Cute Fixie girl was selling ? Did Frenchee go to the prom with her ???

Bro it is!!!!

I hope that car gets a good home......

Julio

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

I just want to weigh in here with a few observations (some of which have already been made), hopefully without coming across as offensive to the owner/seller...

The date on the oil filter means next to nothing. It could have been in somebody's parts bin for many years before it was installed, and this would have no impact at all on how well it functions as a filter.

$1500 for a fuel tank replacement is just obscene considering I sold a perfectly good '72 2002 for only $700 last year. This should have been a couple hundred bucks.

When selling an old car, you really do need to do the leg work. I think this is why people are giving you a hard time - its all in the level of detailed info provided by a seller. You've posted some of this info, but really, you need to write a detailed ad, have detailed photos, and be prepared to post additional requested info before ever posting the ad. That way you have everything ready up front and won't be as frustrated answering a ton of questions.

My 2002 sold near-locally and for cheap to a 2002 enthusiast because I didn't want to spend months trying to sell it online and I wanted it to go to a good home. The guy drove up with a truck and two helpers, including another 2002 enthusiast to evaluate the car, and rented a trailer to take it home even though it was drivable. This is the level of scrutiny you should expect from a serious buyer.

When I sold my '72 Porsche 911, I had probably 80 detailed photos and an extensive first-hand understanding of the work that had been done to the car over the years when I owned it, plus many of the records from previous owners. I fielded many emails and phone calls and it took several months to complete the sale.

You never get your money back. It's a labor of love, so you have to either be committed to keeping and maintaining an old vehicle for the sheer love of doing it, or you have to cut your losses and move on. I agree with the others that the car is worth half the asking price in a good day, and I swear I am not being mean by saying that at ALL. That's just the way it is.

Finally, just to stress once again - people here are NOT being mean in asking for detailed photos and info. It's not like selling a 2005 Camry, where a three line description and four photos on CL will make it happen. Old cars have histories, and if you want to sell the car, you need to get organized. Most people in the market for a 2002 are going to need to know as much as possible before they will consider buying it, and they will probably offer you $3500 for it, and that is NOT low-balling because they know the market.

Of course, you may find some clueless trendster with some daddy-money to pay you $11,5k for it. In which case I say, good for you! And very bad news for that poor little car. From what I read here, it's already been through that once.

Take a look at some other ads on here. There are some great cars available for $7500 and some very presentable ones for half that amount.

1963 Vespa VNB

1972 BMW 2002 - Sold :-(

1972 Porsche 911T - Sold :-(

(the cute girl that frenchee or Julio was going to take to the prom)

I got a giggle out of this...cause I know Julio has a lot of choices for prom dates : )

HAHA

I was just wondering if I go could my wife chaperone the prom......lol

Jb

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

I realize the car is gone and it's always great to ask for pricing advice.

However, ask for whatever you want to get out of it. The car will either sell or not. No big deal.

You will get flack here if you either intentionally or unintentionally overprice your car. Again, who cares.......its just flack.

Best of luck to whomever legitimately represents their car accurately and asks whatever they want for it.

As for Craigslist ads, less IS more. Provide very little if any, contact information. As has been previously mentioned, people can contact you via the craigslist email alias. You can then screen whom you might want to meet or provide contact information to. In this day & age, exercising caution is good.

-Jerry

Jerry Curry

Salem, OR

-------------

• 2 weeks later...