New Year floorboard discovery

stymee

I bought this 2002 a few months ago and have been driving it on nice days ever since. I knew it had some serious rust issues on the driver floorboard and (and whatever you call that area just inside the fender), on the left rear wheel arch and a few spots on the rockers. Otherwise the car was pretty solid with lots of new electrical parts, recently rebuilt motor and a 5spd. It does have the wrong nose, but as sacrilegious as that is, it is actually growing on me!

I intend for her to be a daily driver. I have a very gentle 12 mile commute on country roads, and the weather here is generally awesome. Knowing about the problem with the floor (and other areas), the car wasn't really waterproof, and making it so was at the top of my to-do list.

I started my tear down yesterday afternoon and this is what I found, OUCH! Looks like some pretty shoddy repairs, new sheet metal was just tacked on over top of the existing floor. It was then painted over.

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3217.JPG

So, should I feel better about the rest of the "original" parts of the car knowing that the crappy repair probably had more to do with the deterioration of the driver's floor? Or, should I be scared to death about what else I may find? Or both?

I was looking for a roundie tii with a sunroof (didn't hurt that it had the 5spd already!). I know I overpaid, I made the mistake of falling in love with the car and just had to bring her home. I remember reading a post a while back about paying to much for a car being like "tuition" (was it TipTop's owner?), and that certainly rings true! Do y'all ever really get over that, or is it just part of the '02 madness?

Happy New Years to all!

Sorry to hear about Betty's non-factory drainholes. Based on the looks of those pedal pads, your car has a ton of miles on it.

I'm starting to think buying a "collectible" car for the first time we all have rose colored glasses. I was so dissappointed in the first cars I looked at I almost gave up on buying a tii.

Now that you have uncovered some shoddy floor repairs, you might want to get the car high enough and inspect the rest of it.

and when you take a break looking down at the bottom side,

REMOVE BOTH front and rear windows and repair the original

participant in the floors death. Repair the rusted out window

body openings. You'll find more New Years Badness in the lower corners

under the crispy rubber seals. Move then to the trunk and inside the rear wheel wells - more waits for you there.

Happy 01-01-11

Although that looks painful, it's not like you're the first to discover rusted-out floor pans or shoddy repairs..., so don't feel badly. If you have the time & energy to repair everything properly, then you'll feel great driving the car for many years to come. I over-paid for mine too, but I'm really glad I bought the car 5 years later.

Ouch!!! The floor pain is no big deal. The rust on the substructure (behind the rockers) is. If you decide to jack the car up be very careful. I have seen too many of these to feel fixing it is possible. If you want to spend three times the cars value there could be hope. Get a good magnet. I suspect you have only begun to find rot.....Maybe start looking for a shell....

From my perspective it could be a lot worse. Some of the rust is on the surface, and a lot of the crud along the threshold is factory (brushable) seam sealer. Get a stiff putty knife or chisel and start scraping. I always prefer to start with original bodywork rather than a previous fix. Good luck.

I discovered the dreaded "Flintstone floorboard" condition on my '74 when I was negotiating with the P.O. They are not impossible to fix.

As C.D. says above, go after the source(s) of the failure of watertight integrity. Rear shock towers inside the trunk, and frame rails forward of the firewall could be more difficult to repair. Good luck. Happy New Year!

I know that I speak for everyone here in saying that I hope the PO just had a bladder control issue. Seriously, do take care if jacking it up by yourself; I lost a good friend that way (not an 02, however). Lousy day to do anything today, tho. You need to hook up with us in the 02Group. I'm just up the I-40 super-slab in Morganton. Be safe, Dave V. in NC

Looks like my 74. It's always worse once you get into it. Like you, I'm buidling a driver, so the floors don't have to be pretty when I'm done, just sound. I plan to do floor repairs over winter also.

Now to fire up that welder that's been gathering dust in the garage. It's just metal.

James

floorboard meet was the only rust-through I found on my '73. I made a patch panel to cover all three panels, mig-ed it in and cured the problem.

If it makes you feel any better, when I was searching for a Bugeye Sprite, I looked at 21 before I bought one. The first 20 were either rust buckets, Bondo Banditos or were bastardized with incorrect engines, seats, dashes etc. And this was in 1977!

cheers, and welcome to the fraternity/sorority/madness!

cheers

mike

Thanks to all for the input and advice! At this point I am going to take any of CD's predictions that don't come true as icing on the cake. The car did get a bare metal paint job and all new rubber trim/seals 9 years ago, and the rubber is all still very soft and there are no cracks. The inside of the doors are actually pretty clean, also. The rot all seems to be typical northeast "ground up" variety.

Special thanks for the words of caution on lifting the car. I border on paranoid when jacking up and working under a car, especially an old one that may or may not break in half. I have been under the car quite a few times already, and it definitely could be worse.

I guess I'll find out for sure as I dig further into it. Add me to the list of sick and deranged individuals that "will be ready for the Vintage"!

I know that I speak for everyone here in saying that I hope the PO just had a bladder control issue. Seriously, do take care if jacking it up by yourself; I lost a good friend that way (not an 02, however). Lousy day to do anything today, tho. You need to hook up with us in the 02Group. I'm just up the I-40 super-slab in Morganton. Be safe, Dave V. in NC

You lucky dog! Must be nice to live so close to one of the best roads in NC. 181 is fabulous!

I'd love to meet some local 02ers. Which 02Group are you referring to?

Thanks,

Dave H. in NC