Valve guide question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I certain that the valve guide seal is gone. Smokes on deceleration. Now I was thinking to do the job myself, but I called my shop anyways. He said I should machine the valves, replace the rocker arm and so on. $1,000-2,000 in charges. Too bad for me that i can't afford that. Should I try just replacing the valves or do the entire thing??

Guest Anonymous

Josh,

A good DIY valve job is still going to cost about $500 to $750. This is having a good machine shop rebuilding the head, and depending how bad your head is it could be up to $500 for a rebuild (all rockers replaced = $125 for instance). An average head rebuild is about $350, proper gaskets $75 or more, antifreeze etc, believe me it adds up.

But, don't try to El-Cheapo it. You'll pay in the long run, believe me 3rd time was a charm.

And to really find out what's up with your head you should do a leak down test. I did my valves and it really was rings, but it only smoked on decell which was really wierd.

Arne

Guest Anonymous

2002sm.jpg

He did my head, replaced 4 valves, all seals and guides and ported the head for about $600. he has a shop in Livermore. Really good work.

steve k.

Guest Anonymous

the rockers should be ok but check them anyway remove the shafts yourself and the cam when it gets to the head valves and springs take it to the shop have the valves ground and lapped and check the clearence on the valve stems it may need a couple guides it should not be more than 200.00 in labor and parts depends on the condition on what you have.

Guest Anonymous

Sometimes the rocker shafts wear and the rockers themselves don't, so check both.

Local engine builder sleeved my valve guides with silicon bronze sleeves--less expensive than new guides and much less stressful on the head (don't have to press old guides out and new ones in). Bronze has better lubricating qualities than cast iron, and after 50k + miles on mine, no problems.

Cheers

Mike