Air compressor q's

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Sears has a 6hp 30gal vertical/33gal horizontal air compressor on sale for $277. They claim it can run on a 120v/15A circuit, however, one HP is 746 watts. 6HP at 100% efficiency would require 4476 watts. 4476w/120v is 37.3A, so what gives? Is the 6HP rating a peak rating or something?

My main use of the air compressor will be for a paint gun, die grinder and sander. Bodywork type stuff. What kinds of numbers (gal/min maybe?) should I look for to determine what I need?

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

I bought one of those Sears 6hp 33 gal air compressors. The compressors don't hold up, they're an 'oil-free' design that blows up after a few hours of hard use. Look for a compressor that has the big, cast-iron, black cylinder(s), and requires an oil change once in a while. I've had to rebuild the compressor once so far, the parts are only about $30 and Sears stocks them at 'maintenance centers'. The fact that they are so readily stocked tells you something about the design.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I have one also. It SUCKS! The claimed cfm output isn't anywhere in the ballpark of what it actually puts out. It's loud and runs ALL THE TIME even under moderate use. It's a joke trying to do anything serious! Can't use my da or my air file, or for that matter just about anything without sitting around waiting for it to catch up. Keep in mind, these are all good quality tools (snap on/bluepoint) that are rated below the output cfm of the compressor. BUT, if you really want one, I'll make you a great deal on mine... :-D

Guest Anonymous

compressor_fullsize.jpg

URL: http://www.2002tii-restoration.com/compressor.htm

I don't think those Sears oiless compressors hold up too well. My neighbor has a Sears 30 gal 2 stage oiless unit, and it seized up about a week before the waranty expired.

Save your money for something good. I am classic example of buying compressors that turned out to be too wimpy. Click the link to read my story.

Martin

'73tii

Guest Anonymous

It gives me about 2 minutes of grinding, then the motor kicks on and pumps for 10 minutes. IT is too small to use it for long periods. It works great for impackts and air rachets.

Andy

Guest Anonymous

i have been thinking about a compressor and have always held the uninformed belief that an oil-less compressor is junk - what are your thought?

bob

Guest Anonymous

will_trunk.jpg

URL: http://www.2002tii-restoration.com

But there is no such thing (that I know of) as a heavy-duty oiless compressor. If you plan on doing bodywork, go big or stay home - as RobSpeed would say. My IR compressor can supply 24 cfm @ 175 psi. It can stay ahead of any tool I own. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, go with an oil-lubed compressor.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Martin

'73tii

Guest Anonymous

Man, I'd have to have serious paint aspirations to get spendy like that. I guess I'll have to settle for my little pancake compressor for nail guns and blowing off parts.

I used my 2hp/4gal pancake with a 1/4 grinder on my 2BL intake manifold. It ran a lot, but got the job done. Besides, while waiting for the thing to catch up, I was able to clean out the aluminum bits clogging the rotary file.

It won't run the cheap 1/2" impact wrench someone gave me as a gift, though.