Orange "O" light comes on at idle after driving a

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

02_jacked_up_T.jpg

since I installed my rebuilt head and 5 spd tranny, I have noticed that my Dash's orange "O" - assume it means OIL - comes on when I let go of the gas when the RPMs drop. The engine still runs solid and seems okay but the light is worrying me. Is it an oil pressure issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sako

Guest Anonymous

Since the oil pressure light is coming on - that means you could be DAMAGING your ENGINE...so treat it with immediate respect!!!

The oil pressure switch is on the back of the cylinder head, and may have gotten damaged, or have a loose wire causing the flickering light...check it first before panicking.

If it's bad - they're under $9.00 or so...and well worth it for peace of mind!!!

Worst case scenario - you need an oil pump and should NOT drive the car until it's replaced!!!

Paul

MAximill...

Guest Anonymous

or see exactly what is going on. The oil pressure light sender is very low pressure (5psi?) so, getting the gauge installed may tell you alittle more.

I usually buy and run a gauge each time I rebuild a motor and, then I wind up leaving it installed for the life of the car- doh!

Guest Anonymous

Sako,

Now that you have a new head gasket, etc. and everything is all sealed up nice and tight, the weak link which is now the bottom end will show its angry face shakefistandfinger.gif

Now would be a good time to pull the oil pan and pump, clean it, shim the chain, replace the pump if it the old style pump (with 3 M6 bolts holding the sprocket), and check and possibly replace the rod bearings. Not difficult of a job, just takes time and patience. If not your engine is gonna go wavebyebye.gif

And NO, you do not need to raise the engine to remove the pan!

Email if you want step-by-step instructions regarding removal.

Guest Anonymous

Parts list too?? I have a similar problem and my guage has verified low oil pressure after driving a while (over 20 minutes) and letting car idle. even tried the "old engine" oil. Same result.

Guest Anonymous

02_jacked_up_T.jpg

She's parked in the garage until I can narrow the problem down! I really appreciate all your insights!

Back to work on her this weekend...

sako