custom turbo setup

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

this is the same message i left on the 2002 series message board::

hey guys, first post here. anyways, im 17, i have a heavy foot, and a '75 '02. im in love with it, although im not too thrilled with the performance. and like these few guys around my age at www.thedouginator.com i want to put a turbo system into my '02. from the guys at the site ive gotten some ideas for a system. i live in lexington kentucky; if theres anyone out there that lives anywhere remotely close to me thats done this with their '02, or knows anyone thats done it, please drop me an email with contact info or tips, or really anything to help me out. im really pushing toward a blow-thru set up, as i lack the moola to dish out for a f.i. system and what not. thanks for any help guys!

-chris

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.2002haus.com/m10turboFS.htm

Chris:

If you want real performance(serious boost) from a turbo it is not simply bolt on horsepower. If you bolt on a kit you need to limit the boost to like 5 PSI.

A macho street performer set-up needs to start from the bottom end of the engine and work up. The 02'has a good crank and solid bearing set-up so it is a good place to start.

You will need lower compression pistons 8:1 -8:5 to 1 or so. The bottom end needs to be balanced and bulletproof (I have a piston setting on desk right in front of me with a valve wedged permanently into it, I use it as a pencil holder).

The head will need to be gone through and a cam ground for your turbo application. Sodium filled or stainless valves there is a ton of heat to dissipate.

Injection is the only truly feasible way to blow through, to presurize the carb means changing everything that comes in contact with the pressure. To do a pull through system is less extensive.

Also check 2002 haus, last I looked Rob had an engine already setup with a turbo for sale very reasonable. Rob is a good guy and will tell you what it needs.

Guest Anonymous

I have a motor that's all ready for a turbo and I'm looking for a 2002 for it. EFI is really important for a turbo motor. If you search google for "megasquirt" you'll find the custom EFI computer that I'm using. total cost was only $200. By looking around doug's website you can find all kinds of good ideas for things. Also, check the faq links page for other turbo info.

Matt

Guest Anonymous

Back in the late "70"'s- early "80"'s, I had a system that I made. It consisted of a stock 320I motor with It's injection. I did not use an intercooler so I was limited to 6# of boost. A friend "with side draft webbers & cam" was amazed when I passed him on the straight durring a track day. Estimated HP was 160. Torque was as great or greater. G

Guest Anonymous

tock pistons froma 74' or later 2002 that had all the smog crap non Tii hould work, they are 8.3:1 flat top. Reid said that he run 11psi with ford FI and an intercooler and up to 17psi on race gas. You could feasably run up to 15psi or more on the street with water/ alchy injection

Guest Anonymous

IMHO, if you're going to do a half- decent turbo installation,

you'd be better off with a 325i motor instead! Bent 325's show up frequently for less than a grand- a Cartech exhaust manifold alone will set you back at least half of that! The M20 will give you more power, more torque, and a lot less hassle.

But then, if you want to do it for the 'fun project' aspect-

hee hee, join the club!

Toby B

2002 track rat

Volvo 122 ti street car