AutoX's: Does FSP allow you to run any front caliper?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

10088.jpg

Section 14.6 doesn't appear to specifically say you can't run larger calipers (say e12's).

. . .Gathering steam on the project car. . .

Guest Anonymous

There is a general guideline with scca rules. If it does not specifically say it is legal, consider it illegal. I do not see any provision for 'big brakes' in stock or street prepared. If you are going for all out autox, you don't want them anyway.

The only class I know of that does not follow the "if it ain't specifically legal, it is illegal" rule is street modified. From all the bickering that goes on in the SM list, IMO that freedom is not a reality for anyone going to higher levels of competition.

And that would be my last point. If no one is going to protest you, don't worry about it.

Guest Anonymous

"If you are going for all out autox, you don't want them anyway."

Why not? I am not questioning@your info- i am just ignorant. Is there a disadvantage in autox?

Guest Anonymous

Big brakes are not used in autox because of the increase of unsprung weight. Big brakes are only used because of their heat dissapation capabilities. G

Guest Anonymous

My reasoning is the increase in suspended, and rotating mass. The added mass/cooling is great for extended high speed braking, but does not help the slower shorter braking experience in autocross. Decreasing suspended and or rotating mass is a good thing for performance. The only benefit I would see for autox is possibly increasing the amount of braking done by the rears. If you increase the rears enough a rear bias valve can be used to tune some out and acheive a good f/r balance. This could possibly be acheived with larger rear brake cylinders, and or mixing brake pad compounds front and rear to get the rear to do more work. You don't need the increased heat sink of the larger drums for autox, but the greater power of big rear brakes could be beneficial.

This is not something I have any experience to share with you (not gospel by any means. I should have made my original statement less definitive). The only thing I can say in my defense is I am debating removing the big front brakes from my car because of these concepts stated above.

Guest Anonymous

I ran FSP last year and I ran big brakes via 77 rotors and wilwood superlight calipers. Although I have never weighed my setup, I would bet my setup with the alum. calipers and vented rotor it is about the same if not lighter than the stock setup with a non-vented rotor but, that really isn't the issue. The legality of upgrading is what is of concern.

The rules in section 14.1 specifically say that swapping parts between different years of cars is not allowed, especially if it was not an option for that model year. It also says "Any modification not specifically authorized by the Stock Category or Street Prepared rules is prohibited." So with that in mind and no mention of "upgraded calipers", a big brake setup would most likely not be "legal".

So, even though my setup is really trick, it's not legal and I know it. I only race with a half dozen other guys locally who really don't care that I have a big brake upgrade. They are more concerned with having competition than bitching about the rules so in my case it's not an issue. It is however something to keep in mind for sure as it can be a huge point of contention if you ran across someone willing to protest your car.

I heard last year at nationals a LOT of people got disqualified because of illegal mods so if you are planning on being ultra competitive you might steer away from the big brakes...

Guest Anonymous

They are great! I run a 320 master cylinder and 323i euro rear disks with polymatrix "d" pads up front and the feel and balance is supurb! I had heard they were noisy but I haven't experienced any problems with noise yet. I give them a two thumbs UP! :-)

Guest Anonymous

Infact FSP in north/central florida is more of a case of who can cheat the most.. all of our cars sound like big block vettes.. we all can't idle under 1200 rpm.. and we all do a burn out when starting... it's basically who wants to spend the most money and cheat the most ;) As for calipers... um.. well.. yes technically they are illegal... will anyone know... and will anyone see them.. depends on your group. I don't think they'll help bud.. if you want them for the street then go ahead... nothing less than the best..

Party On

Kris

Guest Anonymous

You are allowed to do updates and backdates for cars in Street Prepared for the cars thaty are listed on the same line in Apendix A. Tii is in different class, so you cannot put Tii breaks on your car. e21 is also on a different line, so that is out too. Turbo was never officially sold in US so it cannot qualify for updates and backdates.

Be careful on what you do. You engine will have to remain stock in FSP but intake and exhaust is free. (no forced induction). You can port the head up to 1" fromthe surface. And you intake manifold is free, so it can be machined too.

get 13" wide wheels and short tires and you will save on the unsprung weight and rotating mass. That is what's important.

Also the comity ruled last year that differential bushings are not part of the suspension so they cannot be replaces with eurethane, but who will ever know :)

steve k.