WOT: Deck building party!! ;P

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

rearofhouseidea.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/02s_online/links.html

once i get my car running again, this will be my next project... its hard to make out but the idea is a 12x12' deck right off the rear windows there in the center, then a 6' deep area leading over to that rear kitchen door thing, then a couple steps down to a 3x3' platform thing, then down a step or two down to the ground... french doors would be next to replace extremely leaky original (1939) windows.. ;)

-Rob (home with the sick wife and baby ;()

Guest Anonymous

Come on Rob,

Just stretch it out a little further from the house."Gee, honey, if we make the deck a little bigger, we can put some nice patio furniture out there." "We should also put in a nice wide gravel drive around the side of the house for our friends to park when we have those outdoor parties." And hey, would you look at that? The support posts are just wide enough for an 02 to fit through. How do you suppose that happened? Oh, extra gravel from the driveway. Just spread it out UNDER the deck.

Guest Anonymous

Rob,

Get a survey. You could have a shop and garage under that deck (would have to be larger:) skylight(s) would allow you to peer down at your projects while standing on the deck. The deck should be part of an overall 'master plan' maybe completed in small easy to manage

chunks but, get the whole project already approved by the city and neighbourhood groups.

Your scary shed in back would still be useful for other stuff.

Scary stuff.

Good luck,

John McA

Guest Anonymous

hand2.BMP

Good Luck Rob,

The house looks great. I think you have the right idea. Sorry, but I had to remind you about the danger of power tools. Have beer AFTER the deck building party. Hope everybody gets feeling better!

Steve "nailgun" P. in NC

Guest Anonymous

Personally I'd go with these precast concrete footers that have a spot in them to hold a 4x4 post.. and instead of trying to hook one side of the deck into the brick section of house and drilling and bolts etc. you could just put two more supports in the back to corners and rock on from there. Running a 2x10x12 down all for sides for stringers and put in your cross beams.. and then set it on your posts.. drive it home with a nail gun and your set to lay your deck boards.. I would run it the same height all the way to the kitchen.. and then do a patio area below it either to grill or picknick table or even integrating benches by it.. almost like a landing area... some side rails and minor latice work would do wonders.. for "visually" enclosing in an area. lemme know if you need help. Have nail gun, air compressor, circular saw and miter box..

party On

Kris

Guest Anonymous

heat weld trex wood substitute decking with fastenerless clips and forget about maintainence. CF prepreg 3.5 dia. columns.

He might also consider using laminated tempered glass. For the whole structure, and deck.

Nail that.

This is a Performance forum and we should try to stay on topic. Think high performance deck instead. OK?