Stahl Header vs. other options for a '74 Tii

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've heard a couple of diferent spins about putting a header on my 1974 Tii. Some say "Use only the factory Tii manifold", I believe these folks are still marching lockstep to the Kaiser. Others say "Only a Stahl header will improve performance"...and these folks belive Wagner was the composer to ever live (okay, maybe when Elmer Fudd is singing kill the wabbit, he is close).

Anyhow: opinions, prejudices, Bad news good news.

Thanks,

R

Guest Anonymous

You have to take it in context. If you are talking about a bone stock 74tii then anything other than the factory manifold will be a waste, and in fact can have a detrimental effect on your low end performance while yielding slight gains on the high end. That said a aftermarket manifold such as a stahl or supersprint (my personal fav) will be many pounds lighter than the boat anchor cast variety.

If you have modified the car substantially such as a stroked motor, increased displacement, multi-throttles, camshaft, improved flow through heads etc then you will probably need to change to a larger header or all of your hard earned duckets will be wasted.

My personal preference is to go with a supersprint header even on a stock tii but go with a very conservative diamenter size similar to the stock, great sound and you do not have 25 extra pounds sitting on the side of your motor.

Guest Anonymous

I've seen, heard, and removed so many cracked headers - that I'll probably NEVER put one on my car.

FWIW - I have 9.5:1 Euro tii pistons, light head porting,m and DCOEs....absolutely NO complaints about flow or torque curves.

headers look sexy as hell - at least the Superspring ones...but for HALF or one THIRD the price - I'll take the tii manifold....until that free real Alpina header shows up on my doorstep.

Paul

Maximill...

Guest Anonymous

74 tii, I still have to get ahold of the engine builder to find out the specs of the motor, being that I inherited the car and am missing specs. But here is what is done to mine that I know of.

1. Ported intake and exhaust.

2. Trottle body was ported larger with a new butterfly.

3. Cam. What size not sure, but slightly lumpy idle

4. Stock Kpump except for special rod attached to trottle lever which under full throttle pulls down slightly on enricher to give more fuel.

Currently does allright with stock exhaust, but I feel like there should be more..

I am guessing that it will benefit from a header and a 2-1/4 exhaust.

But jury is still out.

Guest Anonymous

...remember that commercial back in the 70s?....well Parts guys are like the Mother Nature of 2002s. *smirk!*

I can take it as well as I dish it baby!

Paul

Maximill...

Guest Anonymous

Rod,

Header vs. stock:

advantages:

a. increased flow under WOT, where the header truly lives

b. 1 piece vs. 2 piece to the downpipe

c. power curve moves further into the rev range, which works better with modified engines

d. adds a race car look to the engine

disadvantages:

a. major PITA to change a clutch - have to remove it to remove transmission

b. cracks over time due to metal fatigue and work hardening

c. when used on the street the lowest point scrapes speed bumps and other road obstacles as the car passes over (the race track does not have those usually unless someone has lost some part of their car)

d. longevity goes down as it ages and work hardens and cracks

There is always a trade-off.......

Rock on!

guitarist.gif

Guest Anonymous

This one sits as high up as my centerlink. so if your centerlink hits speed bumps.. well tehn it will as well other than that nope. After owning a alpina copy.. a stahl and a supersprint.. so far I'm tickled to death with it.. I'll post pics of it if you want.

Kris

Guest Anonymous

and I have the tranny mount installed.

The header went into the recycle bin at the dump, I now have the iron beast and I'm happy.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

but it goes with a modified engine. For my stock tii

a header will sacrifice low end, which is precisely

what I am hunting for. Although I read in one of the

old roundels that a 4-2-1 (like this one) will actually

increase low end.

Michael

2x72 tii