• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trouble...

JackF

I have a good customer who had some difficulty with a product I represent in his own home so I went out to help him. Once the fix was made he walked me out through his basement and there sits a 91 Carrera 4. We talked about it and it is all original 30k miles and it is gorgeous. He is looking to sell it and I can't get it out of my mind. This is a real trouble sign for me. What is a good info site on 911's. Any experience with this model/year.

Drool. Pick up (or subscribe to) Classic Porsche Magazine which is British and very good. This mag. is done by Keith Seume who is deep into VW's and Porsches.

Personally, I like the older 911's, but a low mileage '91 is a great find.

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix 2009

62031000.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jack, try Rennlist and Pelican forums both are active sources of good Porsche info (rennlist.com and pelicanparts.com). Also look at Peter Zimmerman's book The Used 911 Story. It breaks down each model year 911 with strengths/weaknesses. Zimmerman regularly posts on Rennlist too. As I recall, the 964 generation Carreras had problems with oil seals and the Carrera 4 driveline is $ to repair... but that goes for all Porsches!

I say go for it, but then my wife says I'm an enabler!

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Well, I drove it yesterday and it is a sweet car, but he wants to much for it. He's had it for 6yrs, 2nd owner and has hardly driven it in the past 4 yrs so it has just sat.. It has the early 964 oil leak at the head which Porsche repaired under warranty on many, but not this one. Porsche decided that on this motor they did not need a gasket between the cylinders and the head. Optomistic I think. The fix is pull the engine and replaced the cylinders with the correct gasketted units, and while doing that you may as well replace the dual mass flywheel. I think I'm set car wise...for now. Interestingly, the lastand only Porsche I've driven was a 67 911S...when it was new!

I rec'd and read Pual Zimmerman's "The Used 911 Story" yesterday. The early 964 didn't fare to well with him. As well, selling this house, moving to an apt for 5 mos and then getting lock, stock and 3 cars to CA as well as my infirm mil to CA, I've got my hands full. But damn, it is pretty.

I had an 89 964. It was my first Porsche. It almost became my last porsche.

As they were the first major re-design of the 911 since 75, there are a lot of firsts. And, a lot of bugs.

By 91, most of those bugs had been worked out. It's too bad the previous owner didn't get the head gasket problem fixed. That's a pricey one.

The dual mass flywheel didn't give me any problems. I know others had issues with it, but I didn't.

I did have problems with oil leaks (everywhere - bad lines, bad thermostat, etc..). Knock sensor on left side intake. Air leak on left side intake. One of the accelerometers on the 4wd system crapped out (and that's pricey too - $2000 from Porsche new, and about $800 from LA Porsche dismantler). And there was the final injustice, when the transmission output shaft cratered while driving to the airport to pick up the wife that hated the car. That was a $4000 repair.

These are the first 911's with power steering or ABS. I know lots of sites stress brake fluid swap, but it's pretty critical on these cars. If you don't swap the brake fluid regularly, the hydraulic system crams all of the emulsified brake fluid into itself. Since the system pressures up to about 1500 psi, it basically packs the crap into the pump and ruins it, which costs about $1500. Just for the pump. Also - my power steering rack leaked. I've heard all of the early ones leaked. As with all 911's until about 95, the Air Conditioning sucks. And - they are OBD I, which means to get any of the codes, you need the Bosch "hammer" computer, which are unbelievably hard to find.

All the bad aside - they are neat cars. First 4wd production Porsche. First with the spoiler that deployed at speed. The G64 transmission (a derivative of the G50 transmission) shifts great. I saw my old one for sale a few weeks ago, and I wanted to buy it back. Who knows, I still might, if I can find a hiding place.

Here's a picture while we were waiting for the tow truck....

DSC02629.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.