14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Paging Mike Self: Renault Caravelles found today

jgerock

My neighbor has a very similar looking car in his lot. Its been sitting for years. I posted a thread about it long ago and most said it was a Renault Caravelle. I thought it was a BMW 700.

Edit: I found my old thread.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,319346/highlight,700/

P.S. And the car is still there.

I was over at Mike's today... I didn't see any Caravelles, though he loves his 4CV Renaults. (which were right in front of me) I went over to borrow some Blizzaks for my E30. (I've been slippin' n slidin') Though that garage is packed to the rafters with cars & parts, I found the tires easily enough... I'd wager he knows a thing or two about the Caravelle nonetheless!

THE CARAVELLE WAS RENAULT's SPORTS CAR BASED ON THE DAUPHINE CHASSIS .

IT IS REAR ENGINED BUT IS WATER COOLED .

http://www.renaultcaravelle.com/

EVERY ONE I HAVE EVER SEE WAS A CONVERTIBLE BUT MANY OF THEM ALSO HAVE AN ATTRACTIVE

HARD TOP THAT IS INTEGRATED SO WELL WITH THE DESIGN THAT IT LOOKS LIKE A COUPE .

CONSIDERING IT's SHARED MECHANICAL HERITAGE WITH THE SEDAN ,

AVAILABILITY OF MECHANICAL PARTS IS ACTUALLY PRETTY GOOD .

FOR CARAVELLE SPECIFIC STUFF , NOT SO MUCH .

Here is the real reason I stopped to take pictures. Neat VW Fastback - last registered November 1996. It still has the complete engine, interior and suspension bits. Based on the separate rear back up lights, tag mount, reflectors, bumpers and curved front end with bullet turn signals, it could be a '67-69. Standard front disk brakes and IRS rear end. Those rear brakes are larger than the Bug ones - very similar to installing 320i brakes on a 2002.

Wonder if I can buy it and store it at my parent's house??

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010035.jpg

MarshallcarexchangeDec2010042.jpg

As was pointed out, they were introduced in 1960, and were Renault's "Karmann Ghia"--a sporty body on a Dauphine chassis. Bodies were built by Brissoneau & Lotz in Belgium--same folks that build the Opel GT bodies--and they rusted in the same places.

1960-62 cars had Dauphine engines and 4 speed gearboxes. They could be had with a soft top and a removable hard top, or both. They were also kinda sluggish with only 40 hp.

In 1963 they were switched to R8 engines--first 956cc and later 1089 cc. Much better performance, all synchro 4 speeds, a better rear suspension and 4 wheel disk brakes. Also the first sealed cooling system in the industry. These are easily spotted by the vents in the "trunk" lid and lack of chrome air vents on the rear quarters. They could be had as a soft top, removeable hard top or as with a fixed metal roof. The red one in the picture is a 63-67 version with the notchback hardtop; earlier cars had a fastback hardtop whose contours matched the soft top.

The last two years (66 & 67) had two bbl Webers and 58 hp...pretty good performance for the day and their class. Too bad they never put the 110 hp R8 Gordini engine in one...it would have been a pretty hot car.

Always thought they were a lot prettier than KGs...they just suffered from the (sometimes undeserved) less than sterling reputation that Renault had in the US...

cheers

mike

Just viewed some pictures on the web. Looks like that may be a '69 Fastback. The '67's had curved (wrap-around) turn signals.

The VW Fastback was the very first car I looked at when I was going to buy a car back in 10th grade. Geez - somebody help me.

You're asking for help in the wrong place, Jim. I say go for it! BTW, one of my friends' dad bought a new notchback in '69. It was that Nevada-ish color used in VW's and we found it to be so cool next to the regular Beetles half the island was driving.