Hayabusa Carbs on an M10

ClayW

Clay,

Are you second guessing your M42 swap?

Me thinks that you need two cars sir, one that has modifications to make it reliable and efficient... and then one with this sort of stuff on it.

Its a sweet idea though and the Opel guys like to use Japanese motorcycle throttle bodies in their EFI conversions. They are cheap, reliable, and of the perfect size (38mm to 50mm depending on your motor). I'm guess that the carbs fit in a similar boat.

Jay

I've thought a lot about doing this conversion. It's been a while but I think after researching them the 600cc carbs are a mm or two larger than our intake ports so they'd be a better match. It would be awesome if someone made a kit with a manifold and the associated linkage then told you what throttle bodies to buy, you'd obviously need something like MS though.

Edit, second part is about t-bodies and first is carbs. I wasn't thinking when I first read the post and immediately assumed t-bodies. I want ITB's :)

my first thought is that a bike carb won't be designed to

run a low- revving car engine.

Having the carb choke the same size as the intake runner

won't allow the carb to meter correctly-

But that doesn't mean it won't work...

And if you really mean throttle bodies, not carbs, then sure,

a throttle plate's a throttle plate- why pay $3k for TWM?

t

Mikuni kits for a number of 4 cylinder engines in the 2 liter range - according to the web site, they're also willing to work with anyone who wants to be a test bed for a new application for the Mikunis, either doing the r&d and initial installation in-house (if you're in their area), or helping with advice and parts if not............

Their basic premise (that development of automotive carbs pretty much stopped in the 70's while carb development for bikes, snowmobiles, etc continued to progress well beyond that point) makes quite a bit of sense. If I lived anywhere near their base of operations, I'd seriously consider their offer.

http://www.v-performance.com/products/air_fuel.html

Clay,

Are you second guessing your M42 swap?

Me thinks that you need two cars sir, one that has modifications to make it reliable and efficient... and then one with this sort of stuff on it.

Jay

Geez.....no. I'm still heading in the direction of modern efficiency and reliability, though I retain a healthy appreciation for goofball engineering like Hayabusa carbs on an M10.

I'm wondering why you would want CV type carbs?

Most of the bike guys pull off the CV type carbs in favor of Flatslides or other performance carbs.

The only thing I can say is the CV's are cheap. Half the time you can get them for about free... but now a set of flatslides, that's an idea.

Forgive me for I know very little about the subject, but aren't CV carbs a combination of a butterfly carb and a slide carb?

From what I understand, CV carbs are designed to prevent a sudden lean condition if one were to rip the throttle very quickly. My thinking is that guys who are looking for performance figures have much more fuel entering the carb on acceleration than a stock bike that had fuel economy in mind when it was designed. Because it was designed with fuel economy in mind, CV carbs normally do not have such a robust acceleration ciruit compared wtih slide or butterfly carbs, is that correct?

IMHO, I would prefer a butterfly or slide carburetor over a CV carb in general because they are less complicated . . . and tuning would be far more similar to tuning DCOEs...

Just thinking out loud...

Jay