• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OEM Rubber or Urethane Bushings for bumpy city driving?

ClayW

Urethane or Rubber Bushings for bumpy city driving?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Urethane or Rubber Bushings for bumpy city driving?

• Polyurethane Bushings
    • New OEM Rubber Bushings

I'm about to rebuild my front and rear suspension because I'm tired or the creaks, squeaks and dental work. I normally drive my car in the city (DC) where the moonscape road seem to be a bit better suited to an SUV or the thousands of too- heavy-to-care-about-ride-quality Crown Vic taxicabs. I like ride quality of polyurethane, but I wonder if the stock rubber mounts might absorb a little more of the jarring.

My suspension otherwise is Bilstein HDs up front and Ireland Stage one springs all around. The rear (flame suit on) has a set of age-unknown Bilstein Sports, which I'll be looking to replace as well. Swaybar is stock 2002 in the front and will be stock 2002 in the rear.

Additionally, the body is a `67 1600, which has the bare minimum of chassis-triangulated-stiffening and is a few pounds lighter than the later 2002s.

thanks for your opinions!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I'm up in Minneapolis/St. Paul, and because of our winters, the roads are appalling - moonscape doesn't even begin to describe it.

I went with the Korman 2002 Roadsport Suspension kit and Poly bushing kits (Fr/Rr) from Ireland Engineering.

There are different Poly Bushings out there of varying hardness (harder = harsher ride).

But the IE bushings give an excellent ride, firm without being jarring. Installed using very generous amounts of poly grease and there is no squeaking at all after 2 yrs.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

for your described use clay, i would go for the stock rubber. my e36 m3 with some "upgraded" suspension parts is brutal in DC. my 02 is way beyond just urethane bushings, so is not realistic comparison. if it was only for occaisional use, i would recommend urethane, but for lots of dc driving, go stock.

need a rear sway bar? i have an extra one.

2xM3

for your described use clay, i would go for the stock rubber. my e36 m3 with some "upgraded" suspension parts is brutal in DC. my 02 is way beyond just urethane bushings, so is not realistic comparison. if it was only for occaisional use, i would recommend urethane, but for lots of dc driving, go stock.

need a rear sway bar? i have an extra one.

Man, you're going to get me in trouble with parts. I sent you an email concerning the ones that I've already bought from you.

If you're not careful, I'm going to show up at your garage with my 1600 and the M42!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

If you've never driven an 02 with ALL FRESH, NEW rubber, then you are missing out. Most people that start out with 02's get one that is very tired. The first thing they think they should do is get rid of all the worn out rubber and install new, hard urethane.

That's essentially entering a store on the 1st floor, not seeing what you want, and then going right up to the 4th floor. It could be what you wanted all along is on the 2nd or 3rd floor.

A tight 2002 feels great, even with skinny tires. And when the roads get rough, watch all the guys with hard suspensions and low-profile tires cringe and slow way down.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

If you've never driven an 02 with ALL FRESH, NEW rubber, then you are missing out. Most people that start out with 02's get one that is very tired. The first thing they think they should do is get rid of all the worn out rubber and install new, hard urethane.

That's essentially entering a store on the 1st floor, not seeing what you want, and then going right up to the 4th floor. It could be what you wanted all along is on the 2nd or 3rd floor.

A tight 2002 feels great, even with skinny tires. And when the roads get rough, watch all the guys with hard suspensions and low-profile tires cringe and slow way down.

+1.... what he said...

There are some exceptions though... poly for the sway bars is great. I sometimes do poly or TiSA/Turbo upgraded rubber for the front radius rod bushings at the subframe.

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Well theoretically, heim joints would provide a smoother ride than any flexible bushing... But that is just theory.

I find that my car has a relatively smooth ride with urethane rather than rubber (And yes, I have had both). I think that the issue with urethane is that it constantly needs to be greased or else it will bind. Which causes annoying squeaks and added discomfort.

True, rubber bushings may rid the car of some vibration, but I think that the drastic differences everyone seems to notice between urethane and rubber are ill-conceived. It seems to me that cars that get urethane bushings also get big wheels... and lowered suspensions... and stiffer shocks... and stiffer sway bars. All of these will stiffen the ride of a car considerably in their own right, let alone combined.

Clay, I would install the urethane in the suspension all the way around if you are willing to grease it every once in a while... if not, face the consequences of the SQUEAK!!! But you improve your car's ride, raise the rear man! I know that you like to carry your toolbox around with you, but if you are going to ask for Taxi-cab like ride, you have to follow taxi-cab suspension guidelines. Put in taller, softer springs in the rear. Once loaded up with stuff, the spring rate will have increased to the desired stiffness and the ride height will have lowered to an acceptable height!

HTH,

Jay

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

Jay did hit on a great point- that most people who do one performance upgrade are apt to do more.

It may very well be that your ideal suspension is a hybrid of poly and rubber. Or Heim.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes