14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Dang--I missed Ludwigs 38th birthday...14 Dec 1972.

Mike Self

He went into early hibernation this year the day before our first snowfall on 3 Dec --early for SW OH.

More snow today--only a couple of inches (eat your heart out, Blunt) but ODOT hasn't been busting their butts with plows and salt trucks. Interstates were a little sporty this on this morning's commute.

cheers

mike

It's snowing in Asheville too. I won't move my Ludwig from the garage if it's roads are wet. School was called 2 days last week and three days this week. It's different driving in the mountains on snow and ice! My name is David McWilliams. I grew up in Springfield, Ohio. Moved to Asheville, NC in 1982 after going thru my second International Harvester plant shutdown. My first BMW was a 1970 Chamonix 2002 purchased new. In 1972 I purchased an Inka 1972 2002 Tii. Even back then I knew it was a special car. I sold it because I didn't want to use it as a driver in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and had no garage where I could store it. Next was a 1967 1602, purchased used in 1975 with only 13,000 miles. Unfortunately both the '70 and '67 were totaled in Cincinnati during Christmas time by being hit hard from behind. What a shame. I always told my son, Ethan, that my favorite car of all time was the 2002. Well, after 35 years I finally was able to add a Siennabraun 1976 2002 to my garage last June. Ethan and I wonder why it took so long. Just wanted to introduce myself.

original 2002 owner--still have the '69 that I bought new and drove through 30 Ohio winters before welding in new metal to replace all the rusty parts. No more winters for Wolfgang (the 69) either. I've "only" owned Ludwig since 1978, bought from the original owner.

BTW you've owned some pretty nifty cars--tell us more about the 1940 328! And be sure to plan on bringing your '02 to Vintage at Winston Salem over Memorial Day weekend. We had well over 100 2002s there last year.

cheers

mike

The 327 is the touring model of the 328. Pushrod 2 liter 6 cylinder engine.

My father found this car stored in an "airplane hanger" at the Clark County Fairgrounds in Springfield, Ohio in about 1975. The gentleman who owned it had died 15 years before. The widow of the man allowed my father to inspect the car. He oiled the cylinders, hand rotated the engine, hooked up an new battery. The thing started and ran smoothly. In retrospect, I'm not sure that was the wisest thing to do. The lady and my father arrived at a price of $1500! I lost my job at International Harvester's Springfield plant when IH stopped making the Scout. I moved to Ft. Wayne, Indiana and worked at IH till that plant shutdown in 1982. 10,000 jobs gone. This country has been losing manufacturing jobs for over 35 years. What a shame, but that's another story. After leaving Springfield, our plan to restore the car never became reality. In 1986, Dad placed an ad in Hemmings to sell the car. A gentleman from Dayton, Ohio who was driven to the car in a large Mercedes Benz, emerged from the back seat, counted out 100 $100 bills and said he would send a truck for the car the next day.

I understand he sent the car to Switzerland for restoration. No Mobile Traditions back in that day. I have seen several restored 327's with asking prices in the $80 - $90 thousand. Out of my league back then, out of my league now, but at least I have a great story to tell.