14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

1973 Tii been sitting for 10 years - What to look for?

logume1881

I've bought old cars before, but I'm wondering if there is anything in particular to watch out for on a 73 tii that has been sitting for 10 years. More specifically, I'm worried about the fuel injection system as I am not familiar with it. The owner says it runs and drives, but everything needs a once over. I'm going to look at the car wednesday, any input would be most helpful.

Rock hard fuel hoses that will spray fuel everywhere and cause a fire. Open the hood and try to pinch the hoses.

Inoperable or missing electric fuel pump located next to the differential.

Wrong fuel filter (aluminum canister on firewall).

Missing air cleaner (see next item).

Throttle body butterfly wide (stuck) open so critters can make their home.

Stuck fuel injection pump and linkages.

Missing clock on dashboard.

Anything dealing with RUST.

Don't look at the car alone - take someone knowledgable with you.

Don't look at the car in a dark garage or at night.

Don't fall in love with the car.

WE ARE HERE TO HELP. PLEASE POST PICS and GOOD LUCK.

I recently got my 72tii running after about 15yrs of sitting. This is what it looked like when I got it. I pulled the gas tank, cleaned it out, replaced the electric fuel pump, replaced all rubber fuel lines, replaced the metal filter by the radiator, replaced the 4 o-rings on top of the kf pump, poured some oil in the kf body, cleaned the inlet screen on the front of the kf pump, cleaned the pressure regulator on the back of the kf pump, and then the usual stuff: belts, plugs, wires, coil, coolant, themostat, adjusted valves, installed hot spark, squirted oil in the cylinders, cranked it by hand a few times, then with the starter a few times, then cranked it up. Started fine. Just replace the stuff that you would think would be rotten from all that time, and give it a crank. These engines are well built and built to last. I guess the important thing is that is ran ok before it sat for so long. If it had a blown head before, it is still going to be blown. Don't forget the rest of the car before you go for a drive: tranny fluid (the clutch is rusted to the flywheel, trust me), rear diff fluid, BRAKES (lines and calipers need attn.) guibo, all mounts, csb... So just about anything that would need to be replaced after 10yrs of driving needs to be replaced. ENJOY!

post-16477-13667635029835_thumb.jpg

Be very careful. Take a fire extinguisher. That fuel pump will fire up as soon as you turn the key and send fuel surging through at a nice high pressure. Dry-rotted fuel lines are the norm in a car that hasn't run in a long time. I'd recommend:

--Open the hood

--Have the fire extinguisher at the ready

--Turn the key to ignition on, but don't start the car

--Listen for the fuel pump running

--Look at the top of the fuel injection pump for fuel seepage

--Look beneath the front and back of the car for fuel dripping

--Do this for several minutes

--Then start it and do it for several minutes more

--Don't drive it before it passes this test

You'll almost certainly have to go through and replace rotted or rock-hard fuel hoses, and linkage components that have huge amounts of play, but if the car warms up and accelerates well, you're probably in pretty good shape. I had two tiis within the past few years that hadn't run in quite a while. Initially they both ran like shit but mostly they just seemed to need to be driven.

Good luck, and contrats in advance (if it's warranted... :^)

I bought a 73 Bavaria that had been stored for nine years. I pulled the gas tank and took it to a radiator shop where they reconditioned gas tanks on the side. The carbs needed to be rebuilt since they had gas sitting in them for years which has turned to varnish. Marvel's mystery oil is your friend, pull the plugs and squirt some in the cylinders. As other previous posters had said, replace every rubber item, (brake lines, hoses, gas lines), drain diff, gearbox fluids, flush the radiator and bleed the brake/clutch system. Now doubt the tires will be dry rotted as well, don't drive on them but they make good rollers to keep on the car for pushing the car around. If you buy it, you definitely have got a project car to keep you busy this winter. Start a blog in the project blog section and keep us updated on your restoration progress. Good luck

G-Man

-=D.A.N.G.E.R.-!!

COLENT HOSES LEAKING

WATER PUMP LEAKING

RUBBER GAS HOSES LEAKING

HEADGASKET FAILED

STALE GAS

STALE GAS FOULED MOTOR OIL

FAILED BRAKE HYDRAULICS

FAILED CLUTCH HYDRAULICS

FAILED MECHANICAL CLUTCH

FAILED PEDAL BOX PIVOTS

FAILED BRAKE CALIPER PISTONS

RUSTED FAILED BRAKE ROTORS AND PADS

FAILED RUBBER BRAKE HOSES

FAILED STEERING TIE RODS, BALL JOINTS, STRUTS, MOUNTS

FAILED ELECTRIC, CHEWED WORN BARE WIRES CAUSING FIRES

happy hunting

Here's my $0.02 worth:

If you are really interested in the car, and the engine is NOT seized...easy to check...put it in 4th gear and watch it turn over when you rock the car, I WOULD NOT even try to start the engine. Negotiate the deal with that in mind.

As long as the rest of the car looks salvagable, cut the deal and take the car home!

Then, you can take your time and go through the engine, with the recommendations of everyone in mind (good recommendations!).

One thing you will absolutely need to do is replace the 4 suction valve o-rings atop the Kuglefischer pump. This is a common fix, but not something to do in a hurry.

From my own personal experience, finding Hugo in a salvage yard that sat outside at least one PA winter,...I had a smashed in front end to deal with besides an engine that hadn't run for a long time.....I went through the engine, checked plugs, fuel, distributor, lines, etc....cranked it with a new battery (fire extinguisher by my side), and on the 2nd crank it started! I had pulled the radiator & fan off and hoses so it didn't run long, but it ran smooth!

These tii engines are absolutely amazing! You will quickly fall in love with a tii if you like to tinker with things mechanical! The Kugelfischer is very robust as long as you don't mess with its internals....keeping the fuel clean is an absolute must!

Good luck, and report back on how things go.

John