OT: Keep it safe out there...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I got word last night that the daughter of a very good friend of mine was killed in a car accident Monday morning. This is always tragic, but moreso in this case because--it's a long story, but I'll keep it short--this was a melded-family situation that had finally come together after a long separation. I'd not ever seen my friend happier--and now this unfortunate turn of events has come to pass.

Guess I feel the need to share because it reminded me of just how thin a string we all hang by. Let's do what we can to make sure that we and those around us are there for their loved ones at day's end.

Thanks for the chance to emote...

Tim

'76 2002

'03 Golf

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to hear about your friends' loss, Tim. My condolences to him and his family.

Alvin Caragay

BMWCCA# 156055

'72 BMW 2002

'89 BMW 325ix

Looking for a E36 M3

pair of '90 Yamaha FZR400's

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to hear that, my family has been plagued with sad news for the past year or so, illness, death, divorce. That is why I felt the need to post the picture of what is truly important. I love my car(s) and my hobby, but I love my family and friends more.

Peace to all.

Neil in NJ

Guest Anonymous

Very sorry to hear the news, it's especially difficult when the victim is so young.

Yesterday my wife talked to a very old friend, who told her an alarming tale. This friend was driving to see her sister, with her 18-month old son strapped into his car seat in the back of her '99 318i. She was stopped to make a left turn on a somewhat rural road (no turn lanes), when a tractor trailer doing about 50mph rear ended her. The truck driver told witnesses that he wasn't looking, because he bent down to look at something on the floor of his truck. Luckily the BMW driver saw the rig coming in her rearview and floored it, managed to get up to maybe 15 or 20mph before the impact. The truck bumper rode over the 318's bumper, pushed the trunk all the way up to the rear windshield, but there was no intrusion into the passenger compartment. Mom and son were taken to the hospital for treatment, and it's too early to tell about permanant back injuries, etc., but yesterday's phone call could have been much worse. Kudos to BMW's safety concious design.

I'm truly sorry that your friend didn't have a similar tale of disaster narrowly averted; you are right, we never realize how close we come to it every day.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

But maybe losing his license for a while, or paying more for for insurance, will remind him to keep his eyes on the road.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Do not drive if you are tired, A friend of mine was killed when his SUV crossed the center line and hit a tractor trailer when he fell asleep at the wheel.

Leif

Guest Anonymous

second time in a month. She started to change lanes as I was passing on a 4 lane--I was in left lane and she didn't see me 'cause of the cell phone in her left ear. I honked when she was halfway in my lane; she nearly lost control (big ole T-bird) when she jerked the wheel back. Beware of young ladies talking on cell phones!

Mike

Guest Anonymous

At fwy speeds you just can't turn wheel as if you are standing still.

I have seen the results of drivers doing this on dry pavement and in the rain. wet slippery pavement appears to be much safer for a maneuver(?) like this.

These drivers who do this? Where do they learn about it? That driver instructor out that is teaching people to turn their wheels rapidly while driving on highways and fwys at high speeds must be really hooked up with the new car manufacturer's because it really totals lots of cars at a great rate.

the high CG of suv's must also be a contributing factor but, I think it occurs with enough frequency that this behavior must be learned or, taught somewhere. Maybe oval tracks or speedways like the Indy500?

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.