1975 Le Mans Heidegger winner was LHD...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I posted earlier that I know of a real deal Heidegger F2 engine twin cam. I just read the Roundel article about the Heidegger 2002 that won its class in 1975 by outlasting all the faster cars. The pic in the article shows driver on left side. But the engine has reversed intake exhaust mainifolds. They must have fabbed some incredible exhaust to get it by the steering box . Then again, it is a race car- so nothing is impossible. Anyway, Steve's promise to build an Alpina race car some day has me hot and bothered to get that Heidegger into an 02. Article said it rated 260 hsp at 8k.I am now possessed. must have heigegger.... (and)...donuts....hmmmmm.... heidegger.....

Guest Anonymous

The "Heidegger" engine you refer to is in fact a factory BMW M12/7 motor. Heidegger (if you didn't know) is/was a tuner in Germany that produced a number of interesting tuning parts and for a number of years took the factory M12/7 motor and "tuned it up". Today, Heidegger still makes probably the best externally mounted dry sump pump in the world (3-5 stages and constructed of magnesium-cost for the pump alone is between $2k and $5k!!). Heidegger was fixated on the use of magnesuim -- Ray Korman told me that he even experimented with cast magnesium crank cases for BMW's. The BMW M12/7 and the Schnitzer 20-4 twin cam 16v engines were homologated for use in BMW 2002's for Gruppe 2 racing in 1973 and were used in cars with left hand steering. More cars probably used the Schnitzer engine for the reasons you mentioned (tricky on the exhaust--and numerous other items). The M12/7 motor uses helical gear driven cams (very loud, very expensive to replace/adjust) whereas the Schnitzer motors use chain driven cams. I am in the midst of restoring a factory Schnitzer Gruppe 5 car with that has the Schnitzer twin cam motor. Hold on to your wallet, a used M12/7 engine should fetch between $20-$30k (rebuilt and fresh of course). My schnitzer engine uses the distributor cap of the M12/7, get this......replacement cost $800 (ouch)

• 7 months later...
Guest Anonymous

If you know of anyone looking for an M12/7 I have a fresh A Spec engine for sale. Just collected from builder, new cams, valves, pistons, shells etc. Complete with electrics and clutch. $27500.

Located UK.

Guest Anonymous

Really if you want the ultimate in your 02 you need to get one of these--seriously wouldn't that be fun to have +/- 295 hp in your 02, gear driven cams etc., If you have never heard one of these fired up is like nothing else. Remember though they get mounted straight up and down (like in a formuala car) and intake and exhaust are transposed (opposite of prodcution) so you have work to do on your exhaust. Go for it.

Guest Anonymous

Yes it was, however it was homologated by the FIA for Gruppe 2 race cars in January 1973 along with the Schnitzer twin cam 16v motor. I believe GS Tuning was using it one of their cars in 1974, so in reality it was used in 2002's before it was in a 32oi!

Guest Anonymous

Not to be a nay sayer but the avg 02 tranny won't hold 280HP for

long and neither will the rear end... the exhaust going around the

steering and the tranny standing upright has gearshift issues in

play... let alone if anything broke in that engine it'd be impossible

or almost impossible to fix... it has such a glow from radioactive

unobtanium and the price tag... good luck on selling such a white

elephant

Guest Anonymous

Lots of money to fabricate the odds and ends just to get in your car and then much more to maintain. These motors use gear driven cams, whicm makes them LOUD when running. They also use slide throttle injection which means no idle and a power band that starts around 7,000 rmp up to about 10,000. Not for your everyday driver. I have the parts list and price list from mobile tradition--replacement M12/7b fuel injection pump=$15,000, distributor cap= $820 (yse for the cap only). It is painfully expensive stuff, although I have to hand it to them - at least some of it is still available.