Cheaper Parts?

89e30

So, i just got a price of $87.19 shipped for a complete engine gasket set for my 2002.

That sounds pretty cheap to me, but i figured all you 2002 insiders would know of a place to get stuff even cheaper. Is there?

As im sure it happens to all of us, im rebuilding the engine on a "budget" (lol). And im wondering if there is a consistently cheaper source for new engine parts than autohausaz.com. Any money that i save rebuilding the lower engine goes into a nice new cam!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

quite a few for my engine rebuild in 2006. But watch the brand name on the parts you buy. See the post a few below yours discussing poorly made rubber parts (upper strut bearings)...There's good stuff, and there's junk out there, and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference until the part fails...then it's too late!

mike

quite a few for my engine rebuild in 2006. But watch the brand name on the parts you buy. See the post a few below yours discussing poorly made rubber parts (upper strut bearings)...There's good stuff, and there's junk out there, and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference until the part fails...then it's too late!

mike

I've had good luck with items from Autohaus AZ (so far).

Unfortunately, see here for inferior guibos from BavAuto >>> http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,327727/highlight,/

Interestingly, I've come to find this out as well.

I ordered a front bearing kit for the 320i hubs from BavAuto, and when they informed me the next day that the parts were on back order, I canceled my order and went to Autohaus. BavAuto then e-mailed me that they had located the parts and would drop ship them. What the hell, right. You always need bearings, and they don't go bad.

Here's what I received: From BavAuto, bearings from Korea and Mexico. From Autohaus I received Febi, made in Germany.

However, for strut mounts, Autohaus sells Ruville. So, I guess you shop around or deal with people you trust.

Most of the parts houses get their supplies through the same distributors. If you look at the AutohausAZ site, especially for newer cars, they will list the same part maybe 2 or 3 times with different manufacturers of that part. This is much like the factory does when building cars. there may be more than one vendor supplying those parts to BMW.

Over the years we have all heard that brand X is crap and the parts made in country Y are the best out there, etc... There IS crap out there, but I think it comes down to individual production runs. A while back there was all the ranting about E30M3 water pumps leaking. I had one of the 'bad' pumps on my car and it never leaked a drop in over 100k miles. Maybe I was lucky? Maybe others were unlucky?

All that said, deal with people in the know (2002Haus, Blunt, etc...) and you stand a better chance of getting something that will fit/work for your application. Ocassionally, there can be slight differences in the specs for a part. These are the people that are tuned into these issues.