2002AD in Pomona CA - buing a car from them

The latest consensus i've heard and experienced since the business changed hands twice over the past 5 or 6 years is DON'T USE THEM.

My direct experience is when the business changed owners and locations the first time, they sold my friend's '74 out from under him as a lien sale without even contacting him first.

the new owners offered him no help in finding his car.

if you buy parts from him, go there in person and hand select the part you want otherwise you could just get any old piece of crap that they have lying around.

i heard recent stories from other customers that make me want to totally avoid them in general. I'll let others chime in since i don't want to spread stories that i'm not directly involved in.

Regarding josh72ooh2's post.

Regarding josh72ooh2's post...

Holding 2002AD responsible for what occurred during an ownership change might not be prudent or fair (and, given that it was your friend's car, it wasn't exactly your 'direct' experience, was it?)

But whether buying a car or used parts, I agree that one is wise to visit 2002AD in person. Ben - the current owner - will be glad to show you around.

Guest Anonymous

AVOID THEM:

My local mechanic (located in the valley) had a black Tii sitting in his garage that someone bought from 2002ad. They told the car's owner that the whole car had been rebuilt and that the color was original. I think the guy paid 14k for the car, and the engine blew shortly after he bought it, he tried contacting 2002 ad and they did nothing about it, so he took it to my local mechanic who tore the engine down, and verified that in fact nothing in the engine was rebuilt and the car was a black respray over verona red. The owner was not able to afford getting a new tii engine put in so he left the car with the mechanic who eventually sold it. Tough break

I have heard other stories of them being less than honest, I am sure some of the cars they list are good cars, but the fact that they advertised a car as having a rebuilt engine, when in fact nothing in the engine had been touched, is pretty iffy in my book.

Regarding josh72ooh2's post.

Regarding josh72ooh2's post...

Holding 2002AD responsible for what occurred during an ownership change might not be prudent or fair (and, given that it was your friend's car, it wasn't exactly your 'direct' experience, was it?)

Considering he was going to give the car to me and i helped him try to track it down, took a few trips to 2002AD, then yes, it was a direct experience for me. They lien sold it to some place in San Jose who then flipped it on e-bay. it was a shady experience.

Ben is a nice guy but offered us no help.

I hope the recent black tii story surfaces on this thread. it ain't a pretty one...

They lien sold it to some place in San Jose who then flipped it on e-bay. it was a shady experience.

Wonder who that was?

John

it is a BMW auto reseller who's ebay ID is 2000m5

We have yet to figure out who owns the car now. my buddy still has the title, stereo faceplate, book of records, etc...