When things cant get worse... They do!

Frenchee

So...

I finally decided to try to get the car started again today. Friend Julio came over and we saw that the distributor cap I had was crap. IT was cracking and the leads to the wires were all blue and corroded.

Changed it.

Charged the battery...

Now. I did not see that my ground cable was touching the positive lead on the alternator. I wish I did before smoke came up.

Huge cloud smoke. me "fuck"

Saw wires starting to melt/fire. So stopped the fire.

Here is the aftermath. Oh man looks like im not driving for a long while now.

Im going to make myself feel better and say

"live and learn"

If anyone is good at wiring and wants to give a hand... Ill gladly reward.

2010-12-11140147.jpg

2010-12-11140212.jpg

Ick! The quickest fix (I think) would be to cut the protective sheath from around that wire harness and crimp in new wires one by one. It won't be the prettiest (but you could hide it with another sheath) but it'll at least get you running and shouldn't take that long. Go to Lowe's or whatever and by a bunch of crimps, a crimp tool and some same guage wire as the crispy ones. Not the best, but it'll do for now. Good luck.

Pipe.

I'm worried that it could have affected more than just wires. Fuses or anything?

I can source a wiring harness in a couple days for 0$. SO i think ima go pull it off the car and use those wires. I feel it would be easier to attach a new piece from a different wiring harness. IT melted the wires that go behind the alternator to the little black plastic clip.

My dad is letting me put the car in the garage. WOW SURPRISE! so hopefully itll be fixed soon. My break is starting next week. Oh yeeeeeeeess :)

I did this very thing today. there was a red wire just dangling from the voltage regulator ..didn't trace it like I should have and assumed it was a power wire, so I neatly spliced a new wire onto and tied it to my power distribution block.

Reconnected the battery and I found myself with the same melted mess that you have. So i traced the wire ..and it was a ground.

Moral of the story: don't assume red is power and black is ground. (or brown, for that matter)

So...

I finally decided to try to get the car started again today. Friend Julio came over and we saw that the distributor cap I had was crap. IT was cracking and the leads to the wires were all blue and corroded.

Changed it.

Charged the battery...

Now. I did not see that my ground cable was touching the positive lead on the alternator. I wish I did before smoke came up.

Huge cloud smoke. me "fuck"

Saw wires starting to melt/fire. So stopped the fire.

Here is the aftermath. Oh man looks like im not driving for a long while now.

Im going to make myself feel better and say

"live and learn"

If anyone is good at wiring and wants to give a hand... Ill gladly reward.

2010-12-11140147.jpg

2010-12-11140212.jpg

Do not worry buddy next time you need to wait for us to come back and

finish up the help. From the pics It looks like it should be fine once you

change out wires I might have some of those.

call me Sunday

Julio